What kind of Dog biscut for a treat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Dog biscut for a treat?

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat kind of Dog biscut for a treat?

I would like to know the name of some good healthy biscuts I could give as treats...they have to be small..my girl is overweight..I was treating with Animal Crackers..toomany times I guess and now my vet told me she is overweight..she will be 3 in Sept. and weighs 89lbs..last yr in June at her spay she was 72 , an ideal weight myvet says. She does not look fat to me...mostly muscle, but I guess the scales do not lie. Could the spay have made her gain? She gets a lot of exercise, but now I have to watch it because itis really hot here in Ohio and she gets overheated really fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NHlab is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: What kind of Dog biscut for a treat?

I guess it depends how picky your dog is.

My girl likes everything - gets pretty excited for pieces of her dry kibble (I use lots of those for training and just subtract that amount from her regular feedings when I am worried about her weight).

I also love to use carrots and green beans for treats - or whatever fruit and veggies I happen to have around. (a few are supposed to be poisonous for dogs, so no raisins, grapes, or onions) But most are nice, low calorie snacks...and your dog will get excited any time you start chopping veggies. A bag of the baby carrots are handy to have around for an easy snack that my dog and I both enjoy.

As for designated dog biscuits, I buy the milkbone training treats, which are pretty small...but I don't know the number of calories. I would guess Animal Crackers (like the kind people eat?) are pretty calorie dense compared to many dog treats.

It's a great idea to trim her down a bit. There are so many overweight labs out there and it really does take a toll on their bodies over time.

Sadies Paw is offline Member

For training treats I prefer those freezed dried liver peices. Pure Bites is what they're called I think. There is nothing but 100% beef liver in them. 60% protein and you can shed them easily to whatever size you prefer, though they're pretty small to begin with, I have also used different brands of jerky that are very pure (1-2 ingredients) that also mainly just high protein. So many of the "treats" on the market these days have dozens of ingredients, mostly carbs and grains and chemicals. Sadie has some allergies so I just tend to try and keep it simple, (oddly that leaves us with using the healthieast treats on the market), though we hardly use treats at all anymore. Peices of her kibble do the job just fine aswell. LOL She's a typical Lab....... I could use a crumpled peice of paper and that would probaly do the trick aswell

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Sam loves that freeze dried liver. (We haven't had any in a while, they're hard to break into bits). We have the small Health Diet Mini Goldens that we use as treats. If we do get milkbones or other cookies, I break them into bits. That way she still gets a lots of little treats instead of one big one or many big ones, because who can say no to a lab?

Sam also gets lots of vegetables. She loves them. However, when a friend's dog (Tally) stayed (also a yellow lab) Tally turned her nose up at a stock of brocoli. Sam thinks they're a special treat.

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

You can try bits of banana or softer apples. Macadamia loves these as treats.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I've been using hotdogs cut into small peices, or string cheese cut into small peices, or pepporoni cut up, or peices of kibble.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

carrots or green beans, cut up into small peices
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If she is overweight your best place to start is by taking a closer look at her food intake. Treats alone won't make her gain that much weight so adjustments to her kibble should be made.

varybarry is offline Senior Member

I used freeze dried liver for my two labs Cecil and Congo, because its pure meat and is a great source of protein. The dogs don't mind the taste either.
    Save some money<br /> magazine subscriptions <br /><br /> fat wallet

2labcrew is offline Senior Member

My guys get carrots, green beans, and apples. If you buy a bag of baby carrots, they are good for single treats instead of animal crackers. You could supplement her melas with veggies for bulk to take soem wieght off. I had to do that wit on eof mine...I am sure there are many people here more qualified to answer the weightloss issue.
    Miriam , Digger, and Kodi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast