allergy results ? mix up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: allergy results ? mix up

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultallergy results ? mix up

My lab at our new vet clinic had some allergy testing done by blood this week. The results back are puzzling.

Her results came back as NOTHING for food allergys which I am shocked at. Whenever we have ever changed her food she always has some sort of reaction.

The environmental results are just dust which is also puzzling as she is always worse in the spring and the fall with itching etc.

So, what could be causing this dog grief if these are the results. The reason for the question is that she was tested a year ago else where and it came up as more things but even then we haven't found results with removing those foods either from her diet.

What can cause a dog to itch every day a lot and also loose hair , rub herself all around the carpet??? She seems to react to each diet that we change her too for the neg not postive.

She had some allergy testing done at our old clinic about 18 months ago and the results were same for envinronment but some in the food so what is up??

Any suggestions would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: allergy results ? mix up

Have you had her thyroid checked? That cut down on our older labs "allergies" immensely.

What are the symptoms you're seeing with her reactions to different foods? Upset stomach? Diarrhea? Vomiting? Itching?

Do you have lawn treatments done at your house? Do you walk where people chemically treat the grass (parks do this often around here at least)? Most lawn treatments with chemicals are done in the spring and fall here - could that be bothering her? Allergy tests wouldn't test for sensitivities to those chemicals, but it's something to keep in mind perhaps?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Sadies Paw is offline Member

Good points YellowJakesMom. Sadie has very similar symptoms to your dog LAb13. We haven't done any allergy testing yet (hoping we won't have to)...but our Vet just mentioned to us the other day when we saw him that some dogs are very sensitive to pesticides/fertilizers. I don't think that alone will answer all of Sadie's problems, but for us right now, it's a very high probalility. Sadie is not allowed on any home lawns (just in case) now.
    In regards to her diet(s), what have you used for foods in the past, and as yellowjakesmom asked, what are her symptoms?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Thydroid comes to my mind two. When you last did a full blood panel was her cholesterol normal? Hi - can be a sign of thyroid issues as well.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Do a full thyroid panel and CBC blood test.
    Kim

labby is offline Senior Member

Have the vet do a MSU complete thyroid panel.

Laura

Thanks for all your great ideas.
    She has had her thyroid checked and it came back low normal so they won't supplement her with meds.

I got the result sheet yesterday from the food allergy testing , her are the results:

According to the sheet, the dog had to have a number over 150 to be classifed as a food allergy.

Corn 17
    Lamb 15
    Milk 12
    Beef 12
    Venison 10
    pork 8
    barley 6
    rabbit 5
    turkey 5
    potato 3
    rice 3
    wheat 3
    soy 2
    yeast 1
    whey 0
    cod, halibut and tuna 0
    egg 0
    chicken 0

After reading it I thought well what if I just compared the foods that she has had problems with against these numbers anyways, high or not. The foods that are high on the list are also in the foods that bothered her, so maybe the test does help a bit. The only other foods that were not tested that I wonder about are salmon, oats, flax and canola.

To answer your other questions, we don't spray our lawn at all or stain our deck. We avoid all of that as we have had two dogs who lost toes and figured all that doesn't help the dogs or environment.

I have started to make her a homemade diet of cooked chicken with brown rice and a scrambled egg plus some veggies. She likes it but I am not sure of the amounts I am supposed to feed her. She seems quieter. THe vet says that they have a vitamin supplement that I can get from them for her if I continue with this diet. Oh, yes, I was supposed to put corn oil on it but I figured that if corn was the first food at the top of the list for the allergy testing then I should try a different oil. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always for all your ideas, help and concern. : )

labby is offline Senior Member

What thyroid test was done? The normal one out of the vet's office? Those are worthless. The only test worth a darn is the MSU thyroid panel as it tests ALL of the thyroid function, not just the T3 and T4.

Laura

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    What thyroid test was done? The normal one out of the vet's office? Those are worthless. The only test worth a darn is the MSU thyroid panel as it tests ALL of the thyroid function, not just the T3 and T4.

If it is anything like a human thyroid test, I agree. T3 and T4 are commonly done, but an imballance in the TSH can be be just as bad.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

It was the full thyroid test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast