Another UTI for Cassie :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another UTI for Cassie :(

Piper is offline Member

DefaultAnother UTI for Cassie :(

At least I think so. She went from being 99% housebroken to having about 6 small puddle accident in the house today within 3 hours , that's between the 4 or more trips outside during that time . I just had her out again and she's doing the multisquat routine, which means it's hurting her to pee and every time she starts she stops because of the burn, but she still has a full bladder so she tries again a minute later and stops again, and so on and so on.

My poor baby, this is the 4th time through this wringer since she's been home. We were at the one month mark after finishing her last prescription and all seemed great. I have her on cranberry capusles at each meal and I have no idea if that's been helping, but was hopeful since she's been symptom free.

I'm fairly certain she has another infection and left a message at the vet's office overnight voicemail. I'm sure he'll call and have me take her in first thing tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable in the meantime? I've had UTIs myself and they are so sucky and uncomfortable, I hate the idea of her suffering through the night if there is something, anything, I can do to try and ease her pain. My heart is breaking.

ETA: Cassie is 18 weeks old and weighs 40 lbs, if that make any difference in dosage for pain relief.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another UTI for Cassie :(

There is really nothing you can do, try and get her into the vet first thing in the morning. Have you always gone back to the same food after each incident or are you changing the food? Oona had 3 UTI's before she was a year old and each time the vet made us change the food to a different brand. The last time before we switched to a regular food he made us use Watham's brand for a month to get her ph back in balance.
    good luck
    Olie

Piper is offline Member

We haven't done any food changes. She came home from the breeder with a UTI and we highly suspect that the following two incidents were simply a case of not eliminating the original infection (they came very closely spaced). We didn't do a urine culture after the last round of meds because he gave her a strong antibiotic specifically determined by and aimed at eliminating the actual bacteria present in the previous culture. Being symptom free for one month we thought that had finally kicked it.

I'm hoping that giving her the cranberry tablets really helped hold to hold this one off and didn't just mask the symptoms of a continuing infection from last time around. I would hate to think I caused a delay in treatment of an ongoing infection by hiding the symptoms, especially since the vet wasn't a big fan of using cranberry as a natural solution in the first place and I pushed it.

I'm hoping ot get her in first thing in the morning so I can start to get her better - AGAIN - quickly.
    ~Michelle~<br />I Love my Piper &amp; her lil&#39; sis Cassie &amp; My Twinkies<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Have you tried her on a grain-free diet? There was discussion about UTIs and how sometimes a grain-free diet can help on another dog breed board I lurk at.
    <br />Oregon

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

We went through the same thing with Skye. Our vet finally put her on Science C/D dog food to help prevent the build up of crystals in her urine and she hasn't had an infection since. It's expensive food but worth it for her comfort and my floors! I did a trial of her on regular food not long ago and she quickly started the multi-squat routine when she'd go out. She's been on the food for almost a year and a half now. Don't know if this will help but thought I'd toss it out to you. Good luck!
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Does she have an innie vulva? Just wondering if it might be causing some of the problems. I hope the vet can get this taken care of. I think I would try switching foods once and see if that helps.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Piper is offline Member

She does not have an inverted vulva, so the cause for the infections is a mystery. Up to now we haven't done any extensive testing to determine the cause, I suspect that will be our next step. The vet wants to spay her soon and claims it would very likely be the end our UTI troubles (and the puppy vaginosis), but I've been resistant. My reisitance may be waning at this point. I hate seeing her so uncomfortable, I know the hell of UTIs firsthand.

We have an appt with the vet at 3:45 this afternoon and I will bring up the idea of changing foods and even if he doesn't think it will do any good, I may try it anyway - it surely can't hurt. She's been changed once from Purina Puppy Chow (at the breeder) to California Natural Puppy since she's been home, but I have no issues with switching her to something else if it has any chance of helping. Figures we just cracked open a new 35lb bag of food :P.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update later.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Do you still have the bag? You might be able to take it back and get a refund or change it for something else. As far as the spaying putting an end to the UTI's? Oona had all of hers after she was spayed. Personally I would change her food and get her ph back in balance.
    Olie

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have been thru this (although with a recessed vulva).

I would do a culture and sensitivity to determine the exact bacteria your pup has.

The antibiotic may not be the proper one until you know what you are dealing with.

The crancaps may be warding it off but if the antibiotic wasn't correct - the bacteria will eventually outweigh the cran caps and rear its ugly head again.

I would also suggest a cystosentisis (urine drawn by needle from the bladder - not painful) for a perfectly clean sample to grow the culture in the Lab. Cross contamination from the pups coat touching the container you catch the urine in can mess up the test.

If you choose to go with the cysto. be sure to get the first appointment at the vet in the a.m. She needs to have a full bladder for this. Just get up in the morning put her in the car and go.

I've been thru this frustration so I know how you feel and I pray that you can pin point the bacteria and get rid of it once and for all.

I also test my girls urine PH weekly when we have re-curing UTI issues. When PH is high I dbl up on crancaps and test again. This has helped me to keep her off antibiotics. I give 2100 mg. of cran caps daily and dbl that if PH is high.

Normal PH Is 5.5-7 and if your interested you can buy the strips on line-much cheaper than a pharmacy. PM me and I'll give you the info. Not sure if its kosher to give you the info here on the board.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Ditto Snowco Labs. You really need to have a culture and sensitivity run preferrably on urine obtained through cysto. Clearly the antibiotics the vet is prescribing (clavamox you said, correct?) are not working to knock out the infection. There are plenty of other antibiotics out there, a C&S will tell you exactly which ones to use.

Changing food might help, but only once you get rid of the infection, which it doesn't sound like ever really goes fully away. Hope she can get some relief soon

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast