Ear routines after swimming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear routines after swimming

DefaultEar routines after swimming

Checking to see what most people do for their dogs ears after they are in the water? Especially for those with labs that are in the water every day. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ear routines after swimming

I swab them out with a dry cotton makeup pad that is about the size of a sand dollar. I find this works better than cotton balls. They get cleaned once a week.
    Olie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Bess often used to get stinky ears which I as often treated. After awhile, I used cotton balls after swimming trying to reduce the number of ear infections.

My Puff doesn't swim quite as often as Bess did but has never yet had stinky ears or ear problems so I do nothing so far.

I think a big difference is their approach to the water.

Bess always ran "pedal to the metal" (full blast) and soared over the water, back legs tucked under her, and hit the water making a huge splash.

Puff approaches the water, then wades in, then begins swimming when her feet no longer touch bottom.

Possibly that difference may account for a lot?? ;D ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bump

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley
    Checking to see what most people do for their dogs ears after they are in the water? Especially for those with labs that are in the water every day. TIA
    An old school holistic vet told me the best thing to do was to put a few drops of caster oil in their ear canals before they go swimming and this would prevent any problems before they get started.

If you wait till after they go swimming, I've had good success with zymox with hydrocortisone - really gets out all the debris and heals any sores and irritations.

BTW, what part of Okinawa are you from? I spent a few years back in the 70's in Camp Kue, Sukiran and up north in Okuma for R&R. I assume your dogs are swimming in Okinawa's beautiful tropical ocean (not in the green water lakes up north).

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I don't do anything other than check them (the ears) every few days just to make sure there is nothing brewing. If they are starting to get gunky I usually clean them with the puple stuff.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

I use Epi-Otic in their ears after swimming.

I don't do anything to my dogs ear after she gets done swimming. I'm not sure if its necessary for her ears to be treated when she's done swimming.

Caseys Mom Guest

Nothing.

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." ;D

My puppy's ears keep getting really pink and seem to be irritating him. This is the second time this happened. The first time the Vet gave us antibiotics and drops to put in his ears it worked for a couple of weeks but now the ear is pink again. He hasn't gotten into any water or anything like that, I just don't know what it could be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast