Gidget had surgery this past week w/pics *UPDATE*
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gidget had surgery this past week w/pics *UPDATE*

DefaultGidget had surgery this past week w/pics *UPDATE*

*UPDATE* Stitches are out as of yesterday morning. Everything looks great. Fur is growing back nicely. She is peeing more. She used to hold it because it hurt so much to go. She got the green light to continue with whatever Gidget does daily. Her new vet is addicted to the Super Retriever Series and is in awe that my girls are field training ;D Thanks everyone!

Gidget, my chocolate, had Episioplasty aka Vulvaplasty (graphic pdf file) PDF File on surgery due to being spayed too soon. She had a fold around her "area" that collected urine and gave her a urine burn. For a year and a half, I voiced my concerns and was told "it was allergies, here are some towelettes to clean her up." After some research and a new vet, she went in for surgery this past Wednesday.

I get the phone call while out running errands saying I can pick her up. They said it was a VERY delicate surgery because of the "area" it was in. Me, thinking the worst, I head to the grocery store to get a gallon of vodka and a gallon of OJ first! I call Mike and tell him I am going to pick her up and to be ready to help me carry her up the stairs and into the house when I get home.

I pull into the parking lot and the vet tech is walking her to go potty. She sees me and is just a wiggling and wagging away. I gave her a big hug and kiss and then I have to go see the vet for post op directions. The goofy girl forgets to go potty!!! I get the clavomox for infection and the proin for incontinence. They bring her to the reception area and I take her to the car. She wants to jump into her kennel asap!

She is completely shaved around her hiney area but it looks "normal". She is eating, drinking and going potty normally. Needless to say, I went to put her new neck brace on so she won't lick her incision. She head butted me while it was on as if to say, "Mom, I WON'T lick. I promise." So I took it off her and she is a happy girl and hasn't ONCE tried to clean her incision!! She had the best night sleep she has had in years. She wasn't leaking urine, she wasn't chewing or licking her burn area or her paws.

Latest Update:
    Baboon Butt is doing great. She doesn't seem to have ANY discomfort except the fur growing back itching her. She so wants to play and just before I stop her she has already gone into an excelleration and then SHE stops herself. She'll lie down and Lucy will keep coming over the nudge her to play and she just stays down quietly.

Today we went for a short walk around the block. I will increase it daily and just watch her reaction.

Thanks for reading and if ANYTHING let this educate yourselves. If you aren't sure about an early spay research research research. This surgery cost more than the spay. >

Ok, now to the pictures....

Here's her hiney area now. She is very swollen around her goodies and her nickname is Monkey Butt because she looks like a baboon. Yes, those are stitches around her little area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Gidget had surgery this past week w/pics

Poor thing. Hope this helps her.

Laura

Thanks Laura. I believe it was your site that got me looking at private parts and questioning things

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Hope she heals quickly. Her butt looks cute. ;D

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    Thanks Laura. I believe it was your site that got me looking at private parts and questioning things
    Ok that made me laugh. I know what you meant but still.....

Laura

;D ;D HAHAHA...Ok, that didn't come out right!

BTW, thanks for having the most informative site I've ever seen

Thanks Amanda, she's doing great!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Gidget! I hope she has a speedy recovery. Your dogs are gorgeous!
    If you don't mind me asking, how old was she when she was spayed?

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Thanks for the compliments and the well wishes.

Gidget is 2 and was spayed at 4 1/2 months. She and I are visiting our State Assembly offices on Tuesday to say no on AB 1634 http://noab1634.com/ here in California.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awww poor Gidget. I'm glad it was fixable tho, and she's doing great. Healing thoughts for that sweet girl.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Awwww....poor Gidget!!!! It doesn't look that bad though. I am glad she was a good girl and told you she didn't need the cone. Mine have always been good that way too.

My crew sends her get well soon wishes!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast