skin rash

Thread: skin rash

LoriT is offline Junior Member

Defaultskin rash

Hey guys I need your help! Mac is our new choc lab - 8 months old and has been breaking out in a rash located around the folds of his back legs - under belly region! Had him to the doctor twice. Came home with an antibiotic which seems to clear it up! But it keeps coming back! Can anyone share info on this topic! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: skin rash

Can you take a picture of it? Molly had a rash, but it was more like tiny bumps on her belly & it was a staph infection. It cleared up with antibiortics. Could he possibly have a grass allergy?

I hope you find the cause of it. Let us know.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

my guess is the antibiotics are just fixing the rash and not getting to the root of the problem. I would do skin scrapes, allergy tests and run some blood checks.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff had this several years ago.

My neighbor's chocolate, "Katie," has it now (& received bad advice from their vet -- more about that later).

We "vet" at Kansas State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl both for its usually superb service and very reasonable costs.

Puff's pink belly had some red splotches and darker areas I'd thought were mud but they diodn't wash off.

The usual vet we saw was usually excellent (a Diplomate in Internal Vet Medicine) but she partially goofed this time.

They did skin scrapings, lab work, and said it was a pyoderma (skin infection) caused by staph.

Puff was placed on a course of cephalexin which cleared it up BUT it came back within several weeks.

A second visit, same as first -- more antibiotics, same end result

A third visit, this time I demanded to see their dermatologist.

She Rx'ed another course of antibiotics BUT following that, to use a topical shampoo of Benzoyl Peroxide on the affected areas (stays on for 10 minutes then rinsed off). We do this 3X/week prophylactically but 1X/day if it should return.

The dermatologist figured it was because we go out for an hour each morning and Puff runs through fields and gets pollen on her belly; that becomes the irritant that cause the problem.

That regimen has done fine, no repeats, no need for more antibiotics.

re: Katie. Their vet put her on an anti-biotic but strongly recommends $$$$$ surgery, saying that the skin folds on her belly are causing the problem. No mention of topical shampoo. Neither my neighbors or I can see any skin folds on Katie or on Puff.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748