Preparing for the next vet visit...

Thread: Preparing for the next vet visit...

DefaultPreparing for the next vet visit...

Harley has a follow up with the Vet next week, and here's my situation.

She managed to talk us into a plan for shots, microchipping, neutering, and whatever well care stuff Harley may need. Now we paid $250.00 for this service, with $150 up front the remainder in two payments of $50.00.

Now I am willing to give up the vet. After reading the replies from his first visit, I am MORE than willing. To be honest, we really didn't click anyway, and a good relationship with your vet seems very important to me. But do you think it would be ok to stay with her for getting the basic stuff out of the way? $150.00 is a lot to give up and I wonder if I can go in there armed with written questions will I be able to keep her on her toes and in line enough too get my money's worth before I move to another (I already have three in mind).

With that in mind, should I keep with her for the short term (there's no question of eventually switching) what questions would you recommend I ask and what should I look out for?

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I had the same situation when Sammi was a pup. I had been going to the same vet with previous pets and really liked him. Problem was he had brought in two associates and I didn't like either one of them and my original vet was working less and less. A lot of things changed in the office, they were trying to sell lots of product, and all of there prices went sky high! So I left, didn't stick around to get everything done. The last straw was finding out that my original vet wouldn't have done Sammis spay, if i don't trust them to take care of her for basic stuff, they certainly arent going to be doing surgery on her!

The sad part is that I called several breeders for a recommendation and guess who they sent me to?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm. Can you give me a price breakdown of that amount of $$? I can tell you what I paid for Abbey's vaccines and vet visit, but her spay was part of her $250 adoption fee from the humane society.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

250- is extremely cheap for all of that. Since the very earliest you can consider neutering is 6 months (and I prefer more like a year) this is not a relationship that you will end quickly if you go ahead with the plan.

Maybe you can get your money back and just pay for the service you received prior?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

It covers:

De-worming
    Vaccinations
    Testing
    Microchip
    Fixed for $25.00

Plus if we move before he can get fixed, they pro-rate the difference. It kind of gives me pause that the local breeders are recommending her. Then again, the local breeders I talked to hadn't heard of Cold Tail. It must be a Florida thing. They enver see seriously cold weather or water. I think the coldest it got down to last winter was 27 and that's RARE...