Can't figure out how to fix her poop problem *UPDATE*

Thread: Can't figure out how to fix her poop problem *UPDATE*

DefaultCan't figure out how to fix her poop problem *UPDATE*

Shelby had diarrhea, vet tested samples, everything is clean. We suspect her eating the grass in the yard on top of a nice chunk of the wood off of a step on our deck is the culperate. He gave me some pills to give her just in case and she was pooping normally towards the end of the pill regimen. He also gave me a powder (Feben is what was written on the packaging but I can't find anything about it online) that he said to mix with a little canned food 1 time a day for three days. I got a Purina canned food and used some of that to administer the powder. The first day-no problem. After the second dose she had 2 very dark (but a very different dark from when there was blood in it) and like 1/2 and 1/2 loose and reg. poops. The last one was around 7:30 last night. She has not pooped since (about 16 hours since). I inspected what she deposited on my kitchen floor and found hay (we use it to cover our strawberry bed and she's been swiping bits of it when we are playing in the yard) and granuales that looked just like the powder we had to put in the wet food. She was supposed to get the 3rd and final dose last night, but I didn't give it to her after that poop because I think the wet food and the medicine are what is bothering her. In hindsight-I can see where giving her a different food right after she already had some stomach issues going on was probably not the brightest thing to do, but I had to in order for her to get the powder-which appears to maybe bother her too. Any ideas or suggestions?? I'm concerned about the 16 hours since the last poop-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can't figure out how to fix her poop problem

When my dogs have diarrhea I cook some rice and add some browned venison hamburger to it. You can use beef hamburger, just be sure you pour off the excess fat. You can also use boiled chicken if your dog doesn't tolerate hamburger. Give this for a few meals, until you get a normal stool, then gradually add your regular food back into the diet.

Recently, only of my girls started having mucus covered poops with diarrhea. Apparently it was a result of something in her food, but this was a food that she had been on for several months. When I tried to put her back on her old food the bad poops returned, so I ended up having to switch her protein source. The point of this is that dogs can sometimes develop an intolerance to a food that they have previously done fine on, so keep your eye on that. Most of the time, however, you can just give a few meals of hamburger and rice and return back to your regular food.

Thank you. Maybe she is becoming intollerant to her food. I didn't think that could be a problem since she's been on the same food since she's been eating food (she's 4 months old). Maybe mixing the regular dry with the new canned for the purpose of getting the medicine in her was too much. I'll give the rice and meat a try this weekend.

How about the not going for almost a day?? Should I be concerned or is it just her system trying to fix itself?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Husband called-she pooped. Phew!

You could try some canned pumpkin too. That sometimes helps. I've done the rice with meat before too and that worked pretty well. We've recently switched to dehydrated raw and it's the best. We used to have to deal with this problem a lot and haven't had any issues at all since the switch. I'm a big fan of this new food.

Personally if it was my dog, I'd probably go back to the vet.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

for your reference my guess would be that the Fenben is Febendazole otherwise Panacur.
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1415
    Kim

The intolerance to food that they have been on is likely because, legally, dog food companies, for several months at a time, can change an ingredient in their foods before they switch back to what it says on the bag. They do this when particular meats etc. are incredibly cheap at the time. I was told this by a representative that came out to my vet clinic (claiming of course that HIS brand didn't do that.... right.) It makes sense, because alot of the dogs we treat for diarrhea have not switched food but have just opened a new bag. So if your dog becomes intolerant of a food suddenly that it has been on for YEARS, think, did you open a new bag or can possibly? If so they may have switched ingredients for a while.

Ruth

DefaultRe: Can't figure out how to fix her poop problem *UPDATE*

Just wanted to give an update that the problem was indeed the food. We put her on a food with no corn, no wheat, no by-products and she has been fine since Saturday. Thanks for all the input and advice.