Teeth Cleaning
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teeth Cleaning

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeeth Cleaning

How often do you have your lab's teeth cleaned by a professional?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teeth Cleaning

That totally depends on the individual, their diet, and their "chewing habits". Most of mine have never had teeth cleaning, but they occasionally are allowed to chew on marrow bones which will remove a lot of the minor tartar buildup. There are too many variables here to set a rule for how long between cleanings.

hmmm....my mom's dog, Teddy is 4 years old. NEVER had a teeth cleaning and has GORGEOUS white, sparkling teeth. Apollo is one year old and he's not had his teeth cleaned either. His teeth are sparkling white, but he's getting some orange/yellow calculous near the gumline. I think it might be smart to get apollo in for a teeth cleaning. He's so young and I don't want him to devleop gum disease and calculous this young.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Emma has never had a professional teeth cleaning. She has wonderful clean teeth for an 11 year old, but we brush them every night.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Never. I don't think teeth cleaning with doggy toothpaste is necessary either. A good once weekly or once fortnightly marrowbone will take care of it.

Hmmm....will the marrow bones remove the calculous build up along his gumline? If not, I think I might have to take him in to get that cleaned off and then start him on a regular supply of marrow bones.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I brush 'em (peanut's, that is, Baloo is too young)

My dad just spent $750 to get 15 of his 6 yr old dog's teeth removed. I'm sooo not going there!

I'm also a chicken and I'm afraid of them breaking their teeth on the marrow bones. Knowing my luck, that would totally happen to me!! :
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

We get our 4 year old dogs' teeth cleaned every year. I've read several articles that said regular cleanings can prolong their lives by several years. We don't do daily teeth brushings but probably should.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

At a recent appt at Kansas State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl (where we "vet") they mentioned a moderate build up of tartar (despite weekly knuckle bones). So Puff has an appt in August for their dentist to do a teeth cleaning.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

It's very individual...just like with people. It has to do with the composition of the saliva in the mouth. I have to go in every 3 months for cleanings because the plaque builds up so quick. I can't remember now if the dentist told me my mouth was acidic or alkaline. Anyway, dogs are similar. Murray is 6 and has sparkling white teeth. My friend's Rotties have nasty looking teeth and was always needing to have them cleaned. I had her try some hard biscuits that a friend makes and her dogs' teeth have never looked better. Her vet even asked her who cleaned their teeth.

On a side note, there is a person here in the valley who will clean a dog's teeth without anesthetic. Several of the agility people use her. I will go that route if/when the time comes to clean Murray's and Essy's teeth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast