I need to change my dogs diet to a Low protein Food.

Thread: I need to change my dogs diet to a Low protein Food.

Eileeno is offline Member

DefaultI need to change my dogs diet to a Low protein Food.

I need to change my 7 month choc Lab's Dog food to a lower protein Content. Right now he is on Iams adult large breed which only has about 22% crude protein. He is growing at a rapid weight and this is causing growth problems. He is already starting to have a serious limp on his front right leg. My vet has told me to switch to a low protein diet in order to hopefully slow down the growth. My vet and I already agreed to a weight management food with supplements. I found that Eukanuba weight management has only 17% Crude protein. I keep hearing that Iams and Eukanuba are bad foods plus all the cruelty stories.

My question: does anyone have any suggestions on a good weight management food that is about 17-19% crude protein that I can get in a store. I would prefer to pick it up instead of ordering online.
    I know Cande and Wellness are great Holistic foods that my vet and trainer have mention but I'm trying to find the lowest protein possible.

My dog, Rocco is 7 months 75-80lbs and very stocky. I made a vet appointment tomorrow for xrays, hopefully no surgery is needed.

Anyone with suggestion or simillar experience is welcomed.

Many thanks
    Rocco&#39;s Mom<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need to change my dogs diet to a Low protein Food.

Has the vet ruled out Pano? (growing pains) From what I understand this can be diagnosed by x-ray and is something they outgrow and does not cause long term problems.

Did you get your pup from a breeder? If so I would contact the breeder for their thoughts as they know their lines best.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I would put your puppy on Eagle's Natural formula: http://eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_Natural.html
    or
    http://eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_LGPuppy.html
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Patty here...it sounds like Pano.

I am surprised that a vet would recommend a lower protein food. That will ultimately end up causing more problems in the long term than creating good effects for the short term.

If you got your dog from a good breeder, they absolutely should be consulted about this matter before you switch.

You aren't going to slow your dog's growth down. Food can't change phisology.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I'd definitely consult your breeder and personally get another vet opinion. I wouldn't put a puppy on a low protein food. What were/are you feeding? How much? I'd be more apt to put him on a quality adult food, with normal protein/fat levels, cut back the total amount of food and up the low impact exercise in his life...swimming is ideal.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I agree. A lower protein food is not going to help. Growth rate has nothing to do with protein. That's an old wives tale that vets still believe. (More recent research shows that growth is affected by Calcium and Phosphorus.) I would defiantely check for Pano and consult your breeder. Good luck!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

I recommend changing your vet./