Puppy losing a pound...should I be concerned or not?

Thread: Puppy losing a pound...should I be concerned or not?

DefaultPuppy losing a pound...should I be concerned or not?

Hi everyone. I have not posted anything about Riley in a while mainly because things have been going great! However, I weighed him at the vet 2 days ago, and he has lost a pound in the last 3 weeks. He has dropped from 73.4 lbs to 72.5 lbs. He is 9 1/2 months. I am not really concerned except for the fact that I was under the impression that this was the time he would start to fill out. The only thing we have been doing differently lately is that I switched him from 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble to completely kibble about 2 1/2 months ago and put him on Canidae from EVO RM at the advice of forum members (amount of dry food was increased according to kcal/cup compared to EVO RM). He was not weighed regularly between that time and now, so I can't say if the weight loss is progressive or just the measly pound I caught. We are getting back to the raw again now, and he had his first raw meal yesterday. He picked up right where he left off a few months ago and still loves it! We will now remain on a raw meal in the morning and a kibble meal at night. The only reason for the interuption is that I graduated and got very busy with things. During that time he ate a total of 3 cups of Canidae ALS a day. He still looks great...coat is shiny, he is well-muscled, lean, and his appetite and poop have been fine. I expect him to weigh around 85 to 90 pounds at maturity. Is this any cause for concern? We just had a fecal done, and there were no problems. Am I wrong in thinking this is when he will begin to fill out? Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy losing a pound...should I be concerned or not?

My keeper from my last litter (female) weighed in at 70.2 lbs. just over 9 1/2 months. She is now 11 months old and still weighs the same and looks great.

Your boy will most likely continue growing a bit till 1 year and then start to fill out.

I wouldn't be worried about 1 lb loss but do keep an eye on him and if your vet is close by take him in to weigh him weekly so you are using the same scale. If you continue to see a weight loss I would discuss it with your vet. He may just be needing an increase in food due to growth if he is loosing slightly.

that would not concern me in the least bit at that age. It could even be the scale, your are talking about 1% of the body weight. My dog stayed +-2 pounds from 10-12 months of age, then gained about 3-4 for good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm real surprised people here suggested EVO for a puppy. The company doesn't even suggest it until the dog is 2 years old.

But like the others stated, 1 lb isn't a big deal. Rider fluxates 5 to 10 lbs from winter to summer.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

That is why we switched off of it. No one here suggested it. I chose it thinking it was a good food before I knew it was not for puppies. I don't know how many times people here are going to chew me out for an honest MISTAKE. Although there is definitely some good information and people who actually seem to want to help, there are just as many on here who approach questions with such criticism and are so rude to people who happen to do something wrong. I don't know how many times I have wanted to ask a question but have not for fear I would get replies JUST like I have. Do you not think I feel bad enough that I may have caused him some trouble in the first place? If I did not care about my dog, I would not be here. FYI I got him from a BYB who told me NOTHING and had no recommendations or contracts. I have only done what I thought was best and YES, I HAVE made mistakes, but I am TRYING to do what's best for him. I apologize for not knowing EVERYTHING.