Mother's lab' symptoms

Thread: Mother's lab' symptoms

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultMother's lab' symptoms

My mother has a 9 yr old lab. Since last Saturday he had been having diarrhea and yesterday vomitting. She was concerned as about three weeks ago he swallowed a small towel. He does this type of thing swolling socks, and normally just chews at his towel in his kennel. She monitored him and eventually he passed the towel about two weeks later. Then the diarrhea etc started. She also tells me that he ate a cooked chicken bone on the Sat night.

Yesterday she took him to the vet as he wasn't well at all. He wasn't wanting to drink water so that got her concerned.

They did an xray to rule out any blockage which was clear.
    They did a lot of blood work. He normally takes phenabarb as he had two seizures about 8 yrs ago and no more since.

The results were - elevated liver levels, below normal phenabarb levels, low thyroid, and they are also concerned about the concentration of his urine. She is to take another sample to them tomorrow. The zray did show artritits in his back. The funny thing is also that he did have a cructiate ligament done about 3 yrs ago and recently he has been favouring that leg a bit but when he came home from the vet yesterday he could barely put any weight on it and he was sort of dragging it a bit. We don't know if it was because he was drugged up or what??

At present the vet doesn't know yet what is wrong wtih him but they have talked about maybe pancreatisis. They might hospitalize him when his next urine test comes back and put him on an iv and do a ultrasound.

He is on different pills for vomitting, diarrhea and also on a gastro diet.

My question to you is does anyone known what this might sound like?? or does anyone have any experience with pancratiist?? He has stopped the vomitting and I think has also stopped the diarrhea now on the special diet. But when you look at him he looks like he is looking out into space, not himself at all.

Thanks for listening to my story. Special thoughts to Mark and hope that he can pull through this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Mother's lab' symptoms

no experience with it.. but just keep praying until further notice from the vet regarding his test results. But in the mean time, keep towels and cloth out of his kennel. If he has a habit of chewing and swallowing these items, its important to keep them out of reach. Keep him on a strict diet of his food and nothing else. No table scraps, treats, etc.. This is especially important if its his pancreas.

Sending healing vibes for your mothers boy. Please keep us posted as to his condition.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Thank you all for you concern. Mark appears to be getting a bit stronger. He is on a gastro diet and pills. They are also giving him something for the arthritis for his back and leg. They don't really know what caused it other than a neighbor has reported that a trio of nesting crows in the yard have been dropping chicken bones and garbage in the yards. Maybe Mark got into that. Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

It's been a long time ago, but my LeRoy used to get pancreatitis on occasion and from what I can recall, he recognized the symptoms and treated it right away with antibiotics. And she would respond and feel much better very soon, with normal poops again and no more upchucking.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09