Sick pup, need advice.

Thread: Sick pup, need advice.

DefaultSick pup, need advice.

I just picked up a new puppy on friday. She is 3 mo. and has had diareah ever since she has been home. I wasn't to concerned figuring that her stomach was upset from her new transition into a new home. Yesterday I gave her two teaspoons of pumkin in her evening meal to help ease her stomach. I have her on the same food as what the breader had her on however she did steal a couple of kibbles from my other labs dish.

This morning I noticed a little bit of blood in her stool which really concerns me. She still has a BIG appetite and still playing around with my 10 mo. old lab like nothing is wrong. She is drinking alot (which is good). Since she's been home she has not eaten anything she shouldn't, I've been watching her like a hawk.

There isn't a vet around here open today and plan on getting her in in the morning. Any ideas what may be wrong? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

There could be a variety of things and you're right to be concerned but with everything else okay I wouldn't panic. My Jackson had a little diarrhea and blood when we brought him home...nothing was ever found and he straightened up in a few days. I'd continue with the pumpkin until the vet sees her.
    Good Luck

Thanks, for the quick reply. That kind of eases my nerves a little.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

take a stool sample to the vets - she may have a parasite or two to get rid of before things settle right down ..
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

labby is offline Senior Member

I second this advice.

Laura

Thanks, I had planned on taking a stool sample. Good news is that her last stool didn't have any traces of blood in it. She'll be going to the vet tomorrow anyway.

labby is offline Senior Member

blood in the stool could just be a sign of irritation, not necessarily ominous. Let us know what you find out.

Laura

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    blood in the stool could just be a sign of irritation, not necessarily ominous. Let us know what you find out.
    Just what I was going to say. The diarrhea could be from the change in water. You can transition her to your tap water by getting a gallon of bottled water. Everytime you fill the dish, top the gallon container off with tap water. In a few days you'll be offering straight tap water.

Thanks for all the advice. I took her to the vet today. It turns out she did have a parasite. The doc put her on an antibiotic and an antidiarrhea medication. We expect her to be fine in a couple of days.

brody is offline Senior Member

excellent
    always good to stay on top of the wee bugs
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller