apple cider viniger

Thread: apple cider viniger

jimdiane is offline Member

Defaultapple cider viniger

A friend told me to put in a cap full of apple cider viniger in the dogs water bowl. It would stop the urine from burning our lawn. Is this an old wives tale ??? ??? or does it really work?
    thanx
    jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: apple cider viniger

It really works -- by making the water so unsavory that your dog stops drinking it and therefore stopes peeing. (Just joking)

Seriously, keep a jug of water by the door and dilute the urine where it's landed. Diluted, it helps the grass -- undiluted, it's too strong and burns it.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/do..._problems.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Yes, it does work. I don't put it in their water, just add a bit to their food (about a teaspoon).
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I tried adding ACV to my dogs' water in an attempt to adjust the ph of Cassie's urine, due to a recurrent UTI. Even a scant teaspoon in a large bowl of water was distasteful enough that neither dog would drink it. I tried a few times over the course of a few days and each time they would begin to drink from a bowl I added vinegar to they would stop after the first taste and not return.

I did this too with my dog (because of "flea" problems, not lawn problem). Neither the 2 cats or my dog would go near it.

Very interesting information! FYI--Apple cide vinegar added to a horse trough keeps it cleaner, and the horses will drink MORE! Also, when my cockatiel had some urinary issues, the vet recommended that I put a small amount (I don't remember how much) in his water. It seemed to help. Also, don't the old wives recommend apple cider vinegar for people to cure all kinds of things?

Quote Originally Posted by kpowell
    Very interesting information! FYI--Apple cide vinegar added to a horse trough keeps it cleaner, and the horses will drink MORE! Also, when my cockatiel had some urinary issues, the vet recommended that I put a small amount (I don't remember how much) in his water. It seemed to help. Also, don't the old wives recommend apple cider vinegar for people to cure all kinds of things?
    I have a friend who uses ACV for almost every thing. She puts a spoonfull into a glass of water and drinks it if she gets a urinary tract infection. For thrush, she soaks a tampon in it (very quickly) and then inserts it where tampons usually get inserted... , or uses it diluted as a duche. She uses it as an anticeptic if her kids, or animals cut themselves (undiluted).

It tastes horrible and is hard to get used to drinking - I have tried it diluted, but have decided if I need to take a spoon full, I take it straight up and wash it down with some coke or some fuzzy drink. it does seem to do the job tho.

my 2cents worth
    Leone

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

apple cidar viniger works to ward off yeast in ears and can help with dry itchy coat. Putting a tbspn in my dogs food does not help my lawn however. And yes, my dog gobbles it down.

FYI - For poster with recurring UTI try giving cranberry caps daily and I also check my dogs PH weekly to be sure there isn't a UTI sneaking up. If PH is hi I dbl up on crancaps for a week and check PH again. This truly works and I have even cured a mild UTI (urinalysis done at vet) with cran caps. Probiotics can help as well.

Normal PH is 5.5-7 and you can buy the strips at a pharmacy (you need a 1-10 range) or on line.

I give 2100 mg. daily of cran caps (1 capsule).