Concern about the purple stuff

Thread: Concern about the purple stuff

DefaultConcern about the purple stuff

Hi everyone!
    I'm a first time poster, and a long-time reader of posts! We rescued our lab, Riley, from the shelter a year ago and JL has been an invaluable source of information for this first time dog-mom.
    We took Riley to the vet's for his annual, and I asked about the purple stuff - which I have been using to resolve Riley's occasional ear infections. He had never heard of it, and I thought I was educating him, until he looked it up and informed me that gentian violet is likely ototoxic. He gave me a study, which was done with guinea pigs, and recommended that I not use it. I'm not aware of any studies in dogs. It also seems to be ototoxic only when there is a perforation in the eardrum.
    Here's a link to the study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
    I have loved the purple stuff, but I'm afraid to risk that Riley's eardrum is perforated and possibly cost him his hearing. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
    Thanks for reading, and thanks again for all your useful posts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Concern about the purple stuff

I guess I've heard nothing but good things about the "purple stuff", but it does contain alcohol- which can irritate the sensitive hairs in the ears.

I use this stuff:
    http://www.dermapet.com/prod-09.html

I really like it, the dogs love it (yes, I mean they actually enjoy getting it applied, lol), it's non-alcohol, and it smells like peaches.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

We use witch hazel instead of alcohol, in order to cut down on the harshness some. It still has great effects.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

bah humbug. The stuff is proven to work. Use the Witch Hazel and it doesn't burn. 8)

Yes, my vet told me the same thing when I mentioned it. But if I remember correctly, it's only if used straight and not made into a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    bah humbug. The stuff is proven to work. Use the Witch Hazel and it doesn't burn. 8)
    LOL Linda

Also, not to hijack, but WHEN did Remington get so BIG?? I thought he realized he was supposed to be a puppy forever?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Almost anything is ototoxic if there is an eardrum perforation (and sometimes just with severe inflammation)...except perhaps saline. Ask your vet about Otomax and the other medications s/he likely prescribes for ear problems. If nothing else, many of these ear medications contain gentamycin...look that one up for ototoxicity.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Ive have also heard that to,but lets just say my doctor told me to use it when I had thrush when i was nurseing my son,my son never got sick from it so im sure its safe to use it on your dog ;D

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I didn't want to risk purple all over everything and had trouble finding the gentian violet, so I make my ear cleaner out of witch hazel, boric acid and tea tree, and have had wonderful results when I use it.