May have to change food, what would you recommend?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May have to change food, what would you recommend?

DefaultMay have to change food, what would you recommend?

For the last year I've been feeding Oona Nature's Recipe Lamb, Barley, and Rice because it doesn't have any wheat or corn as an ingredient. She has been doing very well on it. Since then only all of the pet stores in my area except one has stopped carrying it. They were supposed to order me a bag a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't gotten a call. I stopped in today to find out why and the manager told me that Nature's Recipe has temporarily suspended making that product for the time being because they are looking at their supply of rice meal. Because of recent events the company is being proactive and are reevaluating there own practices before they have an incident. But the manager doesn't know when they will restart making this product so it looks like we will be changing food again. What brands would you recommend that are comparable or higher quality to Nature's Recipe that are corn and wheat free that I can get from the national pet store chains?
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: May have to change food, what would you recommend?

Which national chain pet stores? Petsmart and Petco I presume?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I looked at the Petsmart website and wasn't thrilled with their products. Petco was better. Available at Petco:

Eagle Pack Super Premium Dog Food Holistic Select
    Chicken

Chicken meal, ground brown rice, whole ground barley, fish meal, chicken, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract), pork meal, dried beet pulp, amaranth, oatmeal, tomato pomace, dried egg product, flaxseed, canola oil, dehydrated apples, cheese meal, ground carrot cubes, air dried peas, sun-cured alfalfa, salt, potassium chloride, chicory extract/inulin, glucosamine hydrochloride, beta carotene, dl-methionine, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, niacin supplement, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ascorbic acid, biotin, inositol, dehydrated kelp, polysaccharide complexes of zinc, iron, manganese, copper and cobalt, potassium iodate, sodium selenite, yucca schidigera extract, dandelion, garlic, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, B subtillus, bacillus lichenformis, bacillus coagulins, aspergillus oryzae and aspergillus niger.

Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon

Anchovy, sardine and salmon meals (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid), oatmeal, ground brown rice, pearled barley, menhaden oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, sun-cured alfalfa meal, air dried peas, brewers dried yeast, dried egg product, flaxseed oil, salt, potassium chloride, ground carrot cubes, dehydrated apples, inulin, glucosamine hydrochloride, dandelion, garlic powder, yucca schidigera extract, dl-methionine, vitamin A acetate, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin E supplement, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, d-pantothenic acid, niacin supplement, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ascorbic acid, biotin, rosemary extract, inositol, dehydrated kelp, polysaccharide complexes of zinc, iron, manganese, copper and cobalt, potassium iodate, sodium selenite, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, B subtillus, baccillus lichenformis, bacillus coagulins, aspergillus oryzae and aspergillus niger.

Lamb & Rice

Lamb meal, ground brown rice, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, rice bran, dried egg product, salt, potassium chloride, air dried peas, ground carrot cubes, inulin, glucosamine hydrochloride, dl-methionine, vitamin A acetate, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin E supplement, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, d-pantothenic acid, niacin supplement, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ascorbic acid, biotin, rosemary extract, inositol, dehydrated kelp, polysaccharide complexes of zinc, iron, manganese, copper and cobalt, potassium iodate, sodium selenite, yucca schidigera extract, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, b. subtillus, bacillus lichenformis, bacillus coagulins, aspergillus oryzae and aspergillus niger.

Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken Adult Maintenance Dog Food

Lamb, Lamb Meal, Millet, Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Rice Bran, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed Oil, Garlic, Amaranth, Blueberries, Dried Chicory Root, Carotene, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, (a chelated source of iron), Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Yucca Schidergera Extract, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

Solid Gold MMillennia Beef and Barley Formula Adult Maintenance Dog Food

Beef, Beef Meal, Millet, Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Rice Bran, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed Oil, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme, Dried Seaweed Meal, Dried Cranberries, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Dried Chicory Root, Carotene, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, (a chelated source of iron), Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Yucca Schidergera Extract, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Olie, you might look at the ingredients in the "Diamond Naturals" line (not the Diamond line, they've downgraded it by adding corn and other cereals).

Here's a link to dealer locations in NY state:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/NY/

We feed Kirkland C&R (sold only in Costco warehouse clubs; similar to Diamond Naturals, made by the same company). I like their C&R better than the L&R because their L&R has more rice than I prefer.

Here are the first 10 ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols & Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed.....

Protein 26%; Fat 16 %; Fiber 4%; Moisture 10%. 3,754 kcals/kg; 362 kcals/cup

Tested by AAFCO standards as providing complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I think the Eagle Pack Holistic Selects foods are great. We've fed the fish and lamb, and my mom has fed the chicken to her girls.

I'm with Trickster- I give EP big thumbs up.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We've been happy with Nature's Variety. No corn, wheat or soy.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We use Solid Gold Wolf King (no wheat or corn) and their wheat-free treats. Also, Buddy Biscuits in the Veggie Madness flavor are corn- and wheat-free. This helped Shadow's itching, her ear infections, and her coat problems, and has stopped Buddy's horrendous gas problem. ;D He hasn't been on it long enough to tell if there will be a difference in his coat yet.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

With all these recall issues and recently being effected by it I am feeding grain free until this whole mess is cleaned up.

Nature's Variety Instinct. Not sure I would feed this 42% protein to a growing pup though; I need to learn more about it. (OP I don't know how old your dog is).

Try Orijen...it's widely available and grain free. I just switched both my dogs to it and they're doing VERY well on it....

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amski78
    Try Orijen...it's widely available and grain free. I just switched both my dogs to it and they're doing VERY well on it....
    I've heard good things about this food from a Lab breeder in Canada feeding it since Feb. and all her dogs are doing great. Smaller stools and no more caprophagia (poop eating).

I would have tried it but its hard to get around here so I went with the Nature's Variety. I'm trying to get one of my suppliers to carry both of these foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast