Barnsley has a stinky bum, ewww! (updated)

Thread: Barnsley has a stinky bum, ewww! (updated)

DefaultBarnsley has a stinky bum, ewww! (updated)

Today I noticed that Barnsley was emitting an unpleasant odor, at first I thought it was my ancient A.C. unit that is really rusted. It smelled like iron and fishy. I did some sniffing around and realized it was his bum. My first thought was anal glands, but this is the first time for him. I searched it on this site and it sounds like that's what we've got. Poor stinky boy. I guess I will need to try to get him into the vet on Monday.
    Has anyone tried expressing them at home? I hate to make him wait if it is something I could do. :P

Update:
    Today we went to the vet and he had his first anal gland expressing :P Good thing is there is no sign of infection or abcess so I feel better about that. Hopefully that was a one time experience. He is almost 2 so I guess we've been lucky so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Barnsley has a stinky bum, ewww!

My dog has this issue about once a month. I would assume that if you are smelling that oh so awful fishy anal gland smell... that your dog has expressed at least some of the anal gland fluid. Personally we've never needed to have her glands expressed as hers haven't been impacted. I'm curious as to whether those people whose dogs DO get impacted anal glands ever notice this odor. ???

DefaultRe: Barnsley has a stinky bum, ewww! (updated)

I do Keegans glands at least once a month. Its best to do this in the bathtub with running water. Have your dog face your knees (or stand over him since its a big dog). Hold the tail with your left hand up toward the sky. Use your gloved right hand to push in and down on both sides of the anus until you see liquid. With Keegan, since she's a little dog with a docked tail, I can usually just put my thumb and index finger on either side of the tail and do it, but Labs have bigger tails.

Since Labs don't have to go to the groomers, it's a good idea to learn how to do it yourself. If you google expressing anal glands you will find informative videos, how to's.

I know that some people also stand in the back of the dog with a big paper towel and hold the tail up, use their right hand with the paper towel to push up, in and down and will usually have good success.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've never had to do Sawyers (or Sammy's). Is that normal?

I guess a lot of dogs have trouble with it, I am thankful it was Barnsley's first time and he is almost 2 years old.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

OMG I have NEVER heard of this anal gland expressing EVER in my life!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Breeds like the American Cocker Spaniel, English Cocker, Bassett Hound etc require you to do it. I don't remember why, but if you see your dog scooting on the carpet - I've been told, that it's the anal glands that need emptying.