Loose Bowel Movements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose Bowel Movements

DefaultLoose Bowel Movements

Hello All,

We have an 8 month old puppy. Just about every time he goes to the bathroom it is very loose - like soft serve ice cream consistency (sorry - couldn't think of any other way to describe it!!). He is perfectly healthy in every other way.

We feed him Nutro Ultra.

Also, he usually goes about 4 times per day. Does this seem like alot???

Just wondering what everyone thought. Should we try and switch his food???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Loose Bowel Movements

Has he had a stool check recently? That would be my first plan of attack. If it comes back negative, then yes I would prolly switch the food. When I used to switch away from what I normally feed, I tended to see soft icecream like stools.

Sometimes finding the right food to feed your dog is like finding the Holy Grail. I personally am not a Nutro fan.

Laura

everydog is offline Senior Member

How much are you feeding? Sometimes overfeeding can cause this. Nutro's own recommendations seem really high for most labs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

obsidian Guest

Four times a day is not a lot for a puppy. I agree with the fecal check and switching foods.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with everydog. How much does he weigh, how many cups/day are you feeding, and what's the kcals/cup of your Nutro?

Puff gets soft poops if she overeats. When she was about 8 months, her need for food started declining and went all the way from 5 cups/day down to 2 1/2 - 2.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Sometimes finding the right food to feed your dog is like finding the Holy Grail.
    Sheesh, you got that right Laura...
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Can it really be as simple as the amount of food? Shelby (4 months) has had the same issue for almost a week now. The vet, and me for that matter, feels that it is not anything serious, but put her on some medicine that is supposed to recolonize her stomach. We feed her Pro-Plan large breed puppy formula. She was getting about 4 cups a day, but we've reduced it to 2 cups (maybe a smidge more) since her BMs have changed. Over the last week she'll go a day or so with regular BM and then the next few will be very very loose. It's just so hard not knowing what the problem is and what variable to change. Any ideas? My husband and I keep wondering if she's getting into something in the yard, but have no clue where to start or how to let her enjoy the yard without letting her get into anything.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by regarese
    but have no clue where to start
    You start with a stool check.

Laura

My puppy does this intermittenly with the soft stools. The vet did the stool test and it came back negative but he treated anyways. When the stools were loose the last 2 days of the antibiotic he tried another and it made her way worse so I stopped it becuase they wouldn't let me put her on acidopholus. The recommended a food change and didn't want to do SD so I asked the feed store guy that we get our food from and he recommended a couple of foods but he said at my puppies age 4months and with it being intermitten then he thinks it is a maturity thing. Does this sound right to any of you? Hers is only loose maybe 2 days a week unless we are camping and she is eating grass all weekend.

Jenny

Shelby's stool check was negative as well. He said that there was a little blood in her stool and whatever it is that she got into must be really bothering her. He gave us some different meds so we are going to try them and see what happens. She had a solid BM this morning and we did not feed her last night. Maybe she just needs a little digestion rest.

Jenny-what antibiotic did your vet give you? Just wondering if it will be the same as what we are getting for Shelby and if I should wait for another explosion after she is on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast