Ok, Riley needs Duck and Potato... which do you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, Riley needs Duck and Potato... which do you use?

DefaultOk, Riley needs Duck and Potato... which do you use?

We went to a new vet to get Riley's scratching under control. We were ready to shell out the bucks to get allergy testing done, but the new vet said that at the age that all this started, it is not common at all to have environmental allergies. So she thinks it may be food, even though we had tried a few kinds already. She put her on a food trial, using Duck and Potato. It is Hill Prescription Diet DD. She seems to like it fine, but it is VERY expensive from the Vet, that is for sure! The Vet said we can use a different brand if we want, so, i am asking for the opinion of you all that have or do now have your dog on Duck and Potato... what do you use? And where do you get it?

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ok, Riley needs Duck and Potato... which do you use?

You might want to check brands like

Wellness (sweet potato): http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...et_potato.html

Eagle Pack (Oatmeal not Potato): http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Duck.html

Pinnacle: http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_p...g_duck_dry.htm

These are all super-premium brands though, so they will probably be as expensive or more expensive as the SD Rx food. What does your vet think your dog is allergic to? There might be more options than just duck and potato.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Well, she is not sure as of yet. She wanted to try the food test first, just to rule out the food she was on and she wanted to try it first before the expense of allergy testing on such a young dog. I will check into those foods linked to. Thanks!

Jason

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

My mother's ShibaInu/Lab eats IVD Potato and Duck formula. Its made by Royal Canin. Sounds like you are going through exactly what my mom is. Even the duck and potato food doesn't help my mother's dog, neither does benedryl, steroids, medicated shampoos, etc. She might have to shell out the big bucks to get him allergy tested. He chews his feet till he bleeds, and then there are bloody paw prints all over the carpet and the walls. I hope this doesn't happen to your dog. I hope the potato food works
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

If you're not sure if it's a food allergy (are the allergies worse this time of year? or equally bad year-round?) you might want to try the SD z/d ultra formula instead if your vet would allow it.
    http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/prod...=1178993026013

The proteins are "pre-digested" (that's not really what's done, but the best way I have to explain it) so it's marketed as an "allergen-free" food. If you switch her to that for two months and only that (no treats, no table scraps, etc.) and the allergic symptoms subside, you'll know it's a food allergy and then you can start trying different protein sources (duck, venison, etc.). It seems like a waste to try different protein sources if you're not sure it's a food allergy, especially given the time constraints (6-8 weeks to test a new protein source) if you start with z/d (or HA, the purina Rx diet with hydrolyzed proteins) then at least you'll know if it's a food allergy at the end of the two months if you're not planning on allergy testing.

Good luck, having a dog with food allergies is difficult, I feel for you

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Nature's Recipe has a Duck and Potato blend.
    Olie

Dick Van Patten has a good Duck and Potato product. No wheat, corn or soy. Keegan didn't like the taste of it - but my Sister feeds it to her Shepherd who loves it. You can get samples at a good retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by so-crafty
    Dick Van Patten has a good Duck and Potato product. No wheat, corn or soy. Keegan didn't like the taste of it - but my Sister feeds it to her Shepherd who loves it. You can get samples at a good retailer.
    I found this at a local shop here. My vet wanted to see the list of ingrediants, so she could compare it to the Hill's Riley has been on. I printed it out and should hear from her today. From what I could tell, it actually looked like it was very similiar, if not better ingrediants than the Hill's. But I am no nutritionist. Thanks for everyone's recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by pastorjay

But I am no nutritionist.
    Neither is your vet.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

We feed the natures balance too. Ever since we put Mambo on it his health has been great. He is eating duck and potato right now. I grabbed the wrong bag..oops. Good luck with finding the right food for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast