changing food

Thread: changing food

Defaultchanging food

When I got my little pup 2 weeks ago, she was on Science Diet LBP. I noticed she never really cared for it that much. After searching a lot on this forum, I decided to try Purina ProPlan. I mixed a little of it in with Science Diet, to do the whole change food over a week thing. She devoured the Purina and hardly touched the Science Diet. For her 2nd feeding, I gave her mostly Purina and she devoured that too, almost like she hasn't eaten in weeks. Should I still mix the two together, or is it alright to giver her just the Purina?

-Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: changing food

The usual change over procedure for puppies is in 3 day steps: one part new : 3 parts old; half and half; one part old : 3 parts new.

Are you feeding ProPlan LBP? The LBP formulation has the correct ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus and in the correct amounts for growing joints.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    The usual change over procedure for puppies is in 3 day steps: one part new : 3 parts old; half and half; one part old : 3 parts new.

Are you feeding ProPlan LBP? The LBP formulation has the correct ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus and in the correct amounts for growing joints.
    Bob, Pro Plan's regular Puppy food (both Chicken & Rice and Lamb & Rice as well as the Selects) also has correct ratios...I believe it's 1.1/0.8?
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.

Yep, it's the LBP. I'm right in thinking the ProPlan LBP is much better than Science Diet's LBP?

-Matt

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm right in thinking the ProPlan LBP is much better than Science Diet's LBP?
    Most JL members much prefer the ingredients of ProPlan to those in SD.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748