Question about vaccines - need advice please?... pretty please..? :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about vaccines - need advice please?... pretty please..? :)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about vaccines - need advice please?... pretty please..? :)

Okay, so I know that dogs don't need yearly vaccinations, and that they can be potentially harmful (autoimmune, etc.)

So, knowing this, my plan was to just titer test the dogs on a yearly basis (still getting rabies every year because legally you have to here) I figured if it's the same price (which someone told me), why wouldn't you do titer testing, right? makes sense to me.

However, I found out the other day that titer testing the dogs will cost approximately $400 - $500 per dog, per year. Unfortunately, this is not in the budget.

So I did a little bit of research, and this is what I came up with:

• Give the dogs rabies, bordatella, and lepto vaccines yearly (for pet therapy/legal purposes - have to.. :)
    • Give them a booster (parvo, distemper, etc.) maybe every 3 years..? 4 years..?

If anyone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it, what do you do with your dogs? What do you suggest? Should I reorder/change the vaccines as they appear above..?? *sigh*

Note: I will DEFINITELY go over this with my vet before I do anything, I'd just like to poll as many resources as I possibly can.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about vaccines - need advice please?... pretty please..? :)

you can get rabies done every 3 years after the first annual rabies. Distemper/parvo...that would be what I would titer for if I titered.

Bordatella is not required for therapy visits....and usually, is totally unnecessary unless your dog goes to day care or is boarded, or you foster, like I do.

Rider gets rabies every 3, distemper/lepto/parvo every year and bordatella annually. I will probably titer next year when he turns 5.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo, you can do the 3yr rabies here (double check with your municipality, but in London the dog licence people accept the 3yr vaccine).

Currently, Henry gets the rabies vaccine and the DAPP every 3 years, but not in the same year. I'm planning to titre for DAPP when he's due for revaccination. I'm doing a ton of reading into vaccines too at the moment.

Here is an article that might be of interest to you:
    http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/va...idelines06.pdf

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Titer testing is not always completely reliable.

Where are you located again?

My vet titers for 70-80 a dog?

I do what Felicia/Henrysmom does with the additon of Lepto ( Lepto is done annually)

http://My vet says to get the rabies and distemper every two years. I have my dog on that schedule and it works

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

AVMA's current vaccine protocols reccommend DA2PP (the most recently developed distemper combo) every three years (as do most veterinary teaching hospitals around the country). There is simply no reason to be giving this vaccine yearly with the research supporting its efficacy over three years.

However, lepto is only "good" for one year - so you'll need to give that yearly if it's a problem in your area.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

AVMA article on vets resisting 3-year DA2PP
    http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/sep04/040915l.asp

UC-Davis vaccine protocols:
    http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/cli...ccinproto.html

ETA: This article is even better as it explains why you should look for DA2PP instead of just DAPP in your vaccines, you really want an adenovirus-2 and not DHPP either. It also discusses the vaccine protocols AAHA prefers: http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=46546

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    you can get rabies done every 3 years after the first annual rabies.
    That depends on where you live. Some states require yearly rabies.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast