Heat intolerance!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat intolerance!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeat intolerance!

I know that labs as a whole are not really tolerant of the heat, but Sammi seems to be particularly sensitive. She does fine if there is water around, I mean for her to swim in. Today it was around 78 not all that hot, I took her for a short 20 min. walk, it may of been a brisk walk, but no running or retrieves and she was panting pretty hard by the time we got home. Is this normal, I don't remember her being like this last summer, but then I have always been very careful not to let her get over heated. Just had me a little worried!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heat intolerance!

Labs are very much cold weather dogs so 78 degrees is not all that comfortable for them. Don't forget that if you are walking along sidewalks Sammi is even closer to the ground and therefore bares the brunt of more heat. So I would say yes, it is pretty normal for a dog to be panting quite hard after 20 minutes of brisk walking in the sun.

I take my dogs out in anything below 80 degrees but it is always to a shady place (woodland) where they have access to running water to cool down in. Either that or we go for a swim.

I agree with Trickster. I take it pretty easy once it gets that hot. Remember Labs are wearing a double coat. If your in doubt ask yourself, "Would I do this right now with my winter coat on?"
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy is extremely sensitive to the heat. We slow way down in the summer. She can't take the heat.
    Even now with just slightly warmer temps (high sixties) I can see that Lucy takes it easier.
    We try and stick to leash walks in the coolest part of the day or walk where there is water take a dip to cool off.

labby is offline Senior Member

Its not just the coat, its the layer of fat under the skin. Labs do not tolerate heat well at all.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider is better than Rookie....Rookie was so warm last night that I had to put a fan on him, and I put a cool damp cloth under his belly. I haven't uncovered my central air unit and it was like 75 in the house last night with no breeze....all of the ceiling fans were on...but poor Rook was just miserable for a while.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta is the same way. During the warmer months I usually have to take her for short early morning and late night walks. I noticed the other night she started panting on the bed, so I turned the air on, but I may get a fan for her.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

After it hit 70, we stopped doing anything except training and swimming in the middle of the day. We only exercise between 5 am and 7:30 am and after 8 pm. It sucks, but Gabby gets too hot.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input and will definitely be more careful. Usually I do get our walks in early in the AM or in the evening. Yesterday that didn't work out so thought she would be OK with just a short little jaunt, know not to do that again! Today it is cooler, and she gets to go swimming, man these pups have it rough ;D-Thanks again!

Madison was panting like crazy last night and it took her awhile to finally settle down. It was pretty warm here yesterday, we hit like 84 (and a week ago it was snowing ) but in the house it was still 79 before bed. I was wondering if it was the heat, she'd also been running and playing with Sarah. Might see about getting the girls their own pool for this summer since they both love water. Our other lab, Max, wasn't a big fan of water. If you got the hose out, he'd head the opposite direction. Didn't like baths either. Maybe he didn't get the memo that he was supposed to like water ;D

Alisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast