Need advice for newly adopted Sarah

Thread: Need advice for newly adopted Sarah

DefaultNeed advice for newly adopted Sarah

As I posted earlier tonight, we adopted 3 month old Sarah today. She's a pup that was dropped off yesterday by a family that had bought her and their daughter was afraid of her. She's a very sweet girl, just a typical 3 month old puppy. My concern is on her nutrition. At the moment she's laying across my lap sound alseep (she may turn into a snuggler, unlike Madison ) and her hip bones are sticking out and I can count her ribs. We feed Madison (6.5 months now) Science Diet Lamb & Rice and are mixing in Nutro Natural Choice lamb & rice to switch foods. Could she just be wormy? The vets office gave her all her shots and wormed her before we brought her home. What advice can you give us to help?? She's also got a bit of a saggy belly ???. I still can't believe someone could just drop her off >. I'm just happy we were able to make her a part of our family.

I don't know if this pict actually shows what I'm talking about, but you can see the ribs and her general shape.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need advice for newly adopted Sarah

Nutro is a good choice, I have found that most vets recommend science diet, because thats what the sell. I'm sure others will have good thoughts and ideas for you. Good luck with the new pup, I'm sure she will be a wonderful addition to your family- Oh yeah I should add, we have had great luck with Diamond natural chicken and rice for Sammi, and my son is feeding his new pup diamond natural puppy food and is having great luck with that also- Diana

AAWW poor thing does look quite thin to me!! I would select nutro wellover science diet. science diet is not a good quality food for your wee labby (way too much cheap,not even whole, grains) and maybe a few extra training treats too would help to (i hate to say) fatten her up, but you know what i mean! Good Luck with her. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need advice for newly adopted Sarah*Updated*

I'm starting to notice a difference in Sarah already. I was looking at her this morning when getting hubby off to work and her ribs aren't showing as bad and she just has a healthier look to her. Even her coat feels better and she's stopped stinking. We did give her a bath Tuesday night but she still had a faint stink to her. I also just had her in my lap, snuggling ;D, and I don't notice the hips as much either. YAY!!!

I'm also going to see about getting her into the vet today, just to have her checked out. She's had a slight cough since we brought her home and during the night it sounded worse. She's kinda sneezy off and on, wondering if it's just a cold. ???

keep us posted! ;D

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yes, she does look a little thin.

You could try making satin balls to get a bit of weight on her:

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

Satin balls are fantastic for putting weight on skinny dogs. She probably won't need many to put it back on as she is young.

labby is offline Senior Member

She looks wormy to me. Has she had a stool check recently?

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    She looks wormy to me. Has she had a stool check recently?
    I've wondered about that, especially with the way she looked... underweight but with an almost pot belly. As for the stool check, there hasn't been one since we got her Tues, don't know if that's something they did between the time she was dropped off on Mon and we took her Tues afternoon. ??? We go to the vet in about 2.5 hours and have added that to my list of questions.

labby is offline Senior Member

Take some poop with you when you go to the vet.

Laura