Hey guys, I did a search for this, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for...
We go up to our cottage many times in the summer months, and there are a few notorious patches of Poison Ivy....
Should I be worried about the dogs running through it? What if they eat it? (not likely, I know, but stranger things have happened!!)
I would just like to know ahead of time so I can be prepared... any ideas??
Baloo - 5 year old black lab
Peanut - 7 year old minpin
Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
Dogs aren't allergic to poison ivy but when they run through it, the PI oils get on their coats and can be transmitted to humans. If people are highly allergic to PI, petting a Lab that's been in PI, or being in any contact with the Lab can transmit the PI substance to the person.
I'd think several plunges into water and being dried off would help reduce the probablility of transmission.
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
I agree with Bob- I haven't ever seen problems in dogs who have gotten into poison ivy, but their humans can *REALLY* get it badly, just by the dog brushing up against their bare legs or from petting them without knowing exactly where they've been. Yikes!
~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon