Itch Itch Itch Itch Itch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Itch Itch Itch Itch Itch

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultItch Itch Itch Itch Itch

My poor little pup! She is scratching like the dickens. She's a black lab, 5 months old, so the dandruff really shows up. We brush her at least 3 to 4 times a week, but right now at this time of the year she is really showing some dandruff. I can't tell if it's a food allergy, or environmental, or a little of both. We live in NJ and even I am sneezing a lot lately and have the whole runny nose thing with all the stuff blooming outside. Our pup has been on Pro Plan Chicken and Rice since the breeder started her on it, and that is what we have been feeding her all along. (Although I am seriously considering switching her to something with better quality ingredients and less grains.) Anyway, I guess a visit to the Vet is in order. I feel so bad for her to be so itchy! In the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the springtime allergy fun like we are! (I have read that Benadryl helps but I don't like to always resort to meds if I don't have to. Is there something I can do to give my girl some relief before we are able to get to the vet? Does oatmeal shampoo really help?)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Itch Itch Itch Itch Itch

I would change her food. You have asked about other foods before i think, i would try a grain free food like Orijen (its the ony one i've used) and see if that helps with the itchies.

You're right, I HAVE asked about other food before. It gets a bit confusing to me..........She's 5 months old..........so if I switch her food, do I switch to a large breed puppy food or adult? The breeder suggested switching to adult at 5 months old but I am still feeding her large breed puppy Pro Plan. I will check out Orijen and see if they make a large breed puppy formula. If I may ask, at what age do you recommend switching to adult formula? Thanks for your response!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Have you already been bathing her and, if so, how often and with what shampoo?

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

true food allergies in dogs are rare. I would wonder if its environmental. Do you use fabric softener? Detergent?

Laura

We have only bathed her a couple of times since we got her 3 months ago....maybe twice. Even then we used very little shampoo. The shampoo we are using is called Perfect Coat, Gentle Formula. I'm sure there is a better one out there, and one specifically for dry skin? Her skin was dandruffy in the winter, then got better, and now is dandruffy again. She scratches herself a LOT lately, and I feel so bad because I know that feeling when your skin is so itchy and it drives you NUTS. We brush her often to get the oils up but she is pretty dandruffy right now. I wash her bedding with Arm and Hammer, Sensitive solution, no perfumes or dyes, same stuff I use for us. I don't use fabric sheets for her things. Hmmmmm. Maybe it's the pollen in the air? Change of seasons? I would like to try a more natural approach before just popping Benadryl in her mouth, but I also don't want her to suffer. What do you guys think of Oatmeal shampoo? Worth a try?

I don't think much of ANY shampoo. I have an 18 month old dog here that has never had a bath. Well heck, none of my 6 dogs, ranging in age from 13 years to 18 months, have ever had a bath. They just don't need regular bathing. Try brushing the dog once or twice a week instead.

She's prolly dandruffy right now because of the baths and because its shedding season and they tend to get a bit of dandruff when they are blowing coat.

Laura

Orijen does make LBP formula, i wouldn't switch to adult untill the pups a year old and done most of the actual 'bone' growth. I know its been said that most dogs don't have actual food allergies but alot of dogs develop allergy symptoms from the chemicals & processing used in dog foods with alot of grains and dogs are carnivores so they don't need much for carbohydrates. Good Luck.
    (There are many other grain free foods besides Orijen its just the one i know.)

Quote Originally Posted by loriwolfelabluv
    alot of dogs develop allergy symptoms from the chemicals & processing used in dog foods with alot of grains
    Can I see the scientific proof of this? Thanks.

Laura

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Riley is 6 and started exhibiting allergy symptoms at 2 years old. I have tried the lot, various diets, fish oils,de sensitisation jabs, benadryl,oatmeal shampoo..... she gets VERY sebaceous and thats hards to shift without a little shampoo occasionally. I am now trying Aloe vera gel on her food which humans have tried with some success. Her eyes are better than usual at this time of year, but its too soon to say we have found the answer.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast