Yikes! Sam just ate either a dead mouse or bird

Thread: Yikes! Sam just ate either a dead mouse or bird

DefaultYikes! Sam just ate either a dead mouse or bird

Ok, I'm freaking out because it's gross. She's bathing in the sun, loving life.

We were out for a walk and we both saw it at the same time. It was in her mouth and gone before I could determine what it was. I've searched other threads and can't find the answer to my basic question: Should I be worried about disease...or rushing to the emergency vet?

Sammy is 6 mos old with all of her shots. And she can't be the first dog to eat a dead something. But if anyone has experience with this please share. Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yikes! Sam just ate either a dead mouse or bird

Relax. If I made a new post every time my dogs ate a dead critter I would be spamming the forum. Just yesterday my Maisy ate a baby rabbit in the woods and today at the beach Murphy ate several rotting fish. I don't encourage it of course but no harm has ever come from it.

risingphoenix is offline Member

awwww- I'm fairly sure your pup will be fine. A week and a half ago, we were in the yard with our 3 month old baby- and she disappeared behind a bush- and then came trotting out with what appeared to be a clump of leaves. Upon closer examination, I realized the leaves had a tail with fur, and then realized it wasnt leaves. It was decayed remains of a chipmunk- undoubtedly my sister's cat's handiwork. It was like a huge glob of tar with a tail attached. It was the most disgusting thing ever- however, Kallie thought it was FABULOUS. She was very disappointed that I took it away. Anyway, my point is- she is just fine- no trips to the vet. I have noticed, having labs all through my growing up years, that many, many labs seem to have digestive systems lined in like, kevlar. They can eat anything and everything, even disgusting, non-edible objects, and pass them through like it was chicken noodle soup. If your puppy has thus far exhibited a normal, regular digestive system, I wouldn't worry too much.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

To Trickster and Rising Phoenix:

Thanks for the posts. Best part: how beautiful both your dogs are!

No worries... last weekend Henry downed a dead squirrel... the whole thing *crunch crunch crunch*. His poop was pretty foul and full of squirrel fur for a few days, but no permanent damage. I too was freaked (and mighty grossed) out! Welcome to the world of labs!! LOL!

risingphoenix is offline Member

awwww- thanks fergusons- Sammy's a little beauty herself- I trust she's fine after the possible toxic ingestion?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

The next time this happens (and it will), if you are concerned, give your pup ~10 cc/ml of hydrogen peroxide (may take a 2nd 10cc in my experience!) to make her throw it up. I use a glass 10cc syringe and stick it in their mouths. The bigger fear to me is if a mouse or gopher was poisoned or rotting so badly that it was full of bacteria-- I'd want it out if I knew. Now if it's a fresh kill, no problem ;D. We call that Raw Diet/Snack here (and no, I don't feed raw typically but this doesn't bother me.. someone ate part of a baby rabbit recently and I'm sure it was quite nutritious). -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014