Sick lab question????

Thread: Sick lab question????

DefaultSick lab question????

Hello all, this is my first post but I have been reading awhile. My lab is a little over 1, fed science diet puppy large bread till he was 1 year, then switched to science diet adult. after reading on this site, i chose to switch to diamond naturals because it seemed both healthier and cheaper. the last couple weeks he really seems out of sorts, he is shedding way too much, seems to of lost some weight, and his poop is really big. my guess is that he isnt digesting the food well, but i thought this was supposedly one of the best foods out there???? i am planning to visit the vet really soon, but any tips on how to get over this problem, i'm really scared about this. thanks

-bobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sick lab question????

Did you change his food over gradually or just a straight switch? It does take a while to adjust to a new food.

Where do you live? The shedding could be just shedding his winter coat, Oakley has been shedding more the past few weeks.

But maybe it is that the food just doesn't work for him, not all foods do.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask if the switch was gradual also. Maybe the food just doesn't agree with him. It is tough finding the right food. What works for some dogs may not work for others. Sometimes it is a trial & error thing. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd bet my life its the new food....some foods just don't work well with some dogs, even if its considered by many to be good food...i would switch, but take it slow - like about 10-14 days - a little at a time.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It may be the speed of the switch in foods. But it could be something else re: the foods. Science Diet has a lot more filler in it than Diamond Naturals and, because of that, I'm fairly sure SD has fewer kcals per cup than the DN.

Are you feeding the same amount cupwise?

It could well be that the shedding is due to the change of season -- Labs shed all year but most REALLY shed twice a year. Also, when I switched Puff from Nutro LBP food to a Kirkland (made by Diamond) adult, she also did some serious shedding. And Puff's a Lab that doesn't shed much nor blow her coat twice a year as most Labs do.

If his poops are really big are they also softer than usual?

Besides making a gradual changeover (usually 3 parts old, one part new for 3 days; then half and half another 3 days; then 3 parts new, one part old for 3 days) you might try giving less food. How much does he weigh and how many cups a day are you feeding? The Diamond bag gives the most reasonable amount of cups (per weight of dog) that I've seen on a dog food bag but it's still much more than my Lab eats or should eat. Puff weighs 63 lbs. and eats 2 - 2 1/2 cups day of 362 kcal/cup food and she gets MUCH vigorous daily exercise.

================================================== ========================

P.S.

Bobby, also, how large a bag of DN did you buy and how long have you been using it?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

thanks for the responses everyone. i am doing a gradual switch back to sd and see what happens, he has already seemed to have more energy and such over the past 48 hrs since he started getting some sd. seems really strange to me since i had read so much good stuff about diamond and so much bad stuff about sd on this website.