Quick food question - when to move to adult food & quantity

Thread: Quick food question - when to move to adult food & quantity

DefaultQuick food question - when to move to adult food & quantity

Well, Maui is now 11 months old, he is turning a year on the 25th (yay!)

He is still eating the food he has always been eating - Purina Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed. When do we start to give him adult food? 1 year? 2 Years?

Also, how much do your dogs eat? Maui weighs about 75 pounds now. We feed him a LOT but he stays pretty skinny like a rail. I think it's from all the excercise.

He usually eats 6-8 cups of food per day. If he is at home during the day, he gets 3 cups in the morning and 3 cups at night.

If he is going to doggy Daycare, we give him an extra 2 cups that they feed him around noontime which usually happens twice per week.

I'm surprised at how trim he still is considering the massive amount of food we give him. I give him the deworming things every month so I don't thin it's that.

Does this sound normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Quick food question - when to move to adult food & quantity

Why deworm every month? That stuff is toxic -- far more so to the worms, of course, rather than the dog BUT if there's no indication of worms, why do it regularly? Has your vet recommended that?

The general recommendation for feeding LBP foods is to discontiue when adult size is attained. The purpose of a LBP food is to slow down the development of joints so they don't close too soon and give rise to later joint problems.

For the larger of the LBs (Mastiffs, Great Danes, Newfs, etc.) that may be closer to 24 months while for the smaller (like most Labs) maybe 10-14 months.

My understanding -- possibly incorrect, maybe Nick or someone can offer a better one -- is that the first month of use (say at 6 weeks age) is slightly more important than the second, which is slightly more important than the third. That is, the younger the LB pup, the more important it is for healthy joint development. Many Lab owners switch over in the 10-14 month range although a few may continue through 18 months or more with no loss or danger.

I'm surprised at how trim he still is considering the massive amount of food we give him. I give him the deworming things every month so I don't thin it's that. ... Does this sound normal?
    Not to me.

My Puff is one of the rare, mutant Labs that self-regulates her food intake.

As she approached 8 months age, she suddenly stopped eating her 5 cups/day of LBP food (divided into 2 meals) for a day or 2. When she resumed again, it was less and since I measured what she was offered, it was easy to measure what she didn't eat so I reduced the amount offered to give her the amount she did eat. That happened several times until we stair-stepped down to 1 1/4 cups 2X/day of 362 kcal food.

Dog diet does depend on health, individual metabolism, activity level, size, developmental phase, kcals of the food, etc. So what's right for 1 Lab is not right for another.

But I wonder if the monthly deworming is a factor here?

In comparison with Puff, your Lab is getting a HUGE amount of food. And Puff gets a lot of activity every day (1 hour off-leash retrieving and walk through a nature preserve @ morning.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

That is a LOT of food. Interestingly, my dog is 8 1/2 months old but very similar in size to yours. Mine is also a lean, muscular puppy who is very active. However, I only feed 3 cups of Canidae lamb and rice a day. To break that down for you, the Canidae has 457 kcals per cup, so I feed Riley 1371 kcals a day. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy has 398 kcals per cup, so at 6-8 cups per day, you are feeding 2388-3184 kcals a day. It seems like a huge amount of food, and I doubt even some of the most active labs would need that many calories. However, if your dog is lean and at an ideal weight, cutting back his intake might not provide him with the energy he needs, and he might lose weight. If the Pro Plan is working well for you and him, I would not advise you to switch foods, but if it were me, I would HAVE to start looking at a more calorically dense food, or I would be broke! I don't have a whole lot of advice for you, but I'm sure others will give you some feedback. Your puppy is adorable, by the way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm maybe deworming isn't the right word.

What's that chew stuff you give your dog... Heartgard? Is that deworming? That's what I meant.

I guess what i was thinking is that I wondered if he might have worms - don't they "eat" the food making it seem as if the dog is eating a lot more?

Funny thing is he loses weight really fast too. He ate a rock and we had to keep him off food for 2 days and he lost like 10 pounds. He just has a ridiculous metabolism (lucky....)

He gets a lot of excercise with us. He is almost always off-leash and at doggie daycare he goes all-day-long fro morning to night. At night we play with the chuck-it for literally a half hour to forty-five minutes and he doesn't stop sprinting the whole time. I can barely keep up with him. It takes SO MUCH excercise for him to get tired

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Heartguard is to prevent heart worms -- not the same as the usal "deworming" for tape worms, hook worms, etc.

But it may well be worth it to take a stool specimen in to have it examined for worms.

You are feeding a HUGE amount for that weight and condition.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748