4.5 yr old - eating poop - a question...?

Thread: 4.5 yr old - eating poop - a question...?

nmjanow is offline Junior Member

Default4.5 yr old - eating poop - a question...?

We've tried deter and it doesn't really help but we only did one round so we're going to give it one more shot. We thought this problem (since it only started this past winter) was temporary and would end once there was no ice and snow, however she's been caught in the act again. Now that she knows it could be out there she looks for it. And we've been diligent in picking it up which works best anyway. (we also watch her as best we can or take her out on a leash and correct her at the slightest hint she's looking for it or going to eat it)

Question: Do you think it would help if we switched her food? She's been on Diamond Lamb and Rice Adult since about 1 yr old, maybe she needs some different flavors in her diet? What do you think? (the reason why we went to L&R was because our other lab had loose stools and they both did better on L&R vs Iams/Euk).

I'm looking for some ideas to break the cycle.... Thanks!
    --Nancy<br />Mom to Mocha Chocolate, F, 07/16/02 &amp; Caramelle, Yel., F, 12/28/02

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 4.5 yr old - eating poop - a question...?

Question: Do you think it would help if we switched her food? She's been on Diamond Lamb and Rice Adult since about 1 yr old, maybe she needs some different flavors in her diet? What do you think? (the reason why we went to L&R was because our other lab had loose stools and they both did better on L&R vs Iams/Euk).
    Nope. If she is doing well on Diamond, don't switch. It won't help with the poop eating. I'm afraid poop eating is just one of those things. Have you tried adding a few pieces of pineapple to her food? I'm not sure how it works but it does work for some. If the pineapple nor the pills work, prevention is your best solution.

Maui ate poop a littl ein the winter yuck...

He only ate it though when it was frozen. i don't know if he didn't know it was poop. Thank God he doesn't do that anymore. Out of all the habits dogs get, those are the WORST. Ughhh

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My 2 yr old starting this as well. I have heard it is related to boredom....has anything in her routine changed? I wish I could find a solution....was it fresh pineapple that someone suggested??? I will try anything!