Just Labradors banner

What suppliments do you feed your dog?

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Canyon Labradors 
#1 ·
I was reading the Whole Dog Journal and it said that if you give your dog fish oil it could "Induce a relative deficiency in vitamin E." What supplements do you give to your dog?
I give Oona Glucosamine and Chondroitn,
Fish Oil tablets.
Olie

#6 ·
I just started homecooking for my lab. Right now he is getting 4 fish oil capsules, 1200mg each, 1 vitamin B complex tab and I multivitamin tab every day. He also gets 1 vitamin E tab, 400mg, every other day. I also read that the fish oils increase the demand for antioxidants, hence the vitamin E. As time goes by he may need more, or less, supplements. These are just the bare minimums to get us started.

Oh, I have read that the recommended dosage for fish oil tabs is 1 tab, (1000-1200mg) for each 20 pounds of body weight. Although that dosage might be for dogs that have allergies and skin problems.

#8 ·
I agree with labby. If you are having to supplement a dog kibble, then its not the right kibble. For raw feeders I understand the need for suppliments but IMO if you are giving a ton of supplements, you might not be doing something right. A properly balanced raw diet doesn't require vitamens such as a, e, etc. Although you might include say, glucosomine or fish oil just for the heck of it. Oversupplementation is more common then undersupplementation expecially if you are feeding a good dog food. Look out, vitamens, such as vitamin A can be toxic in mega doses.

#9 ·
I give G/C and probiotics.
I don't supplement for vit/min. The probiotics are just a digestive aid. I started with just giving them to my older dog and now they all get it.
It is suppose to aid digestion and makes the nutrients we consume more bio-available and it must be working because I have NEVER had to clip toe-nails as often as I do now. My boy almost never needs them done. Maybe every 6 weeks. Now he needs them done weekly. The others I sometimes have to do twice a week!!! The gal who sells it to me said this is quite normal.

#12 ·
cinderbaylabs said:
I give G/C and probiotics.
I don't supplement for vit/min. The probiotics are just a digestive aid. I started with just giving them to my older dog and now they all get it.
It is suppose to aid digestion and makes the nutrients we consume more bio-available and it must be working because I have NEVER had to clip toe-nails as often as I do now. My boy almost never needs them done. Maybe every 6 weeks. Now he needs them done weekly. The others I sometimes have to do twice a week!!! The gal who sells it to me said this is quite normal.
Kim, what probiotic do you use? Thanks

#13 ·
Piper gets 2 fish oil caps/day for her skin/coat. I've been giving them to her since her allergies were diagnosed. I can tell it makes a difference because if I run out for even a couple of days she gets flakey and very itchy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.