Puzzled by Puff's recent non-eating/eating behavior -- UPDATE @ end
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puzzled by Puff's recent non-eating/eating behavior -- UPDATE @ end

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuzzled by Puff's recent non-eating/eating behavior -- UPDATE @ end

Puff has been one of the rare (<10%), mutant, self-regulating Labs as far as eating is concerned.

Some history may be pertinent.

History:
    As a pup, she went from about a cup/day to 5 cups/day at 8 months and then started skipping meals. As she started eating again, I measured what she consumed and offered only that amount. We gradually got down to 2.5 cups/day (divided into 2 meals) at about 12 months age when we converted to Kirkbride (made by Diamond, sold at Costco).

We then experienced problems maybe similar to now.

About halfway through a 40 lb. bag, Puff lost interest in eating. I thought it was the L&R recipe and switched to C&R but the same thing happened again 1/2 way through. After much experimenting, I finally decided that the food in the bag was going stale and devised new methods of storing it. As soon as a new bag was opened, I transferred its contents to 10-11 one gallon Ziplock freezer bags. I suck the air out before sealing them. Then I reload them into the paper bag.

This has worked well for several years.

A month ago when Puff had her eye operation, I found she weighed 67 lbs. She'd been requesting a little more food which I'd been granting -- maybe up to 1.33 to 1.5 cups/meal. So NOW she's back to a strict 1.25 cups/meal. She'd been doing some begging, entreating, for more until recently.

Present Problem:
    A couple nights ago, Puff didn't eat her evening meal of 1.25 cups Kirkbride C&R swished into some hot water that cooks a slice of frozen salmon (minced after cooking). She did eat her breakfast the next morning, half of which she gets a few kibbles at a time from my hand after retrieving on our early morning walks and the other half she gets for bringing in the paper when we return.

Last night, she declined her evening meal (Kirkbride C&R w/salmon) and it was all there this morning. When we went out for our every morning hour walk, Puff was like a Holstein cow -- it had rained last night and the grass was fresh washed. Puff was grazing and grazing, so much so that she fell far behind me and I had to keep stopping and calling her.

Her stool production has been occurring at usual times (7 AM & 2 PM) BUT (as might be expected) is unusually small (about 1/4 the size of a golf ball when molded in a plastic pick-up bag vs. the usual golf ball size).

This evening, I prepared her usual dinner and she ignored it (unlike her) for several hours and then ate half of it. I then prepared a meal of cooked brown rice with canned chicken added and she eagerly consumed that.

Reasons, Possibilities?
    Of course, the recent problems with contaminated food ingredients from China occurred to me but the Kirkbride kibble does not contain any of the identified problem ingredients.

I've wondered if there's some stomach condition affecting her, or other problem that might affect her appetite?

The thought HAS occurred to me that perhaps the one gallon Ziplock freezer bag that I'm now taking food from has a leak (I re-use these if they're air-tight BUT sometimes even never-used, new bags have leaks). I've just tested the current bag that contains her food and it does have a slow leak. (We're near the bottom of the bag with only 2 Ziplocks to go until restock time.)

I'll appreciate all suggestions.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puzzled by Puff's recent non-eating/eating behavior -- any suggestions?

I am sorry bob I can't help. Unless Puff often rejects food I think I would call the vet.

Surprisingly for a counter surfer Ernie self regualtes.If food isn't as fresh as he would like he won't eat it. He will wolf down home made meals or stolen food or cushions and tea towels.

I often wonder too if the cooler weather or some other unknown thing sometimes makes then more hungry or less. As often humans do.

Last night, she declined her evening meal (Kirkbride C&R w/salmon) and it was all there this morning. When we went out for our every morning hour walk, Puff was like a Holstein cow -- it had rained last night and the grass was fresh washed. Puff was grazing and grazing, so much so that she fell far behind me and I had to keep stopping and calling.

Ernie does this then later parks the remains of green vomit on the carpet. I have often wondered if he was lacking in something.
    A vet nurse told me if a dog eats a lot of grass feed them peas. I have feed Ernie 2 packets and he still grazes.

I think if you are worried perhaps see a vet or it could be some Labs surprisingly pick and choose their food.

Someone with some better knowledge of Labs eating habits will help you I am sure.

Hope she comes right soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puzzled by Puff's recent non-eating/eating behavior -- any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions either as Buddy is a very slow eater compared to other labs I've been associated with. He never leaves a morsel and is always eager for his meals. If he refused even one meal, he'd be at the vet.
    I found it interesting that you ziplock bag your food. I do the same thing. Only I'm excessive. I zip lock it in portions in case I'm not home at feeding time and have to rely on the human offspring. Then I put the portioned bags into plastic containers.
    I take care of a friend's chocolate lab regularly and he eats anything and everything that's not nailed down. Once when he stayed with us he refused to eat unless I put 4 or 5 kibbles in my hand and hand fed it to him. I thought he was sick so I took him to my vet and after a thorough exam, they decided he was upset. Probably cause he was homesick. That wouldn't apply in your case. But maybe you altered your routines re: play, walks, etc. in some little way and Puff is upset? Just thought I'd mention it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I zip lock it in portions in case I'm not home at feeding time and have to rely on the human offspring.
    I do the same thing when Puff goes into the kennel -- I label each day, each AM & PM meal and include a few extra days in case I'm delayed getting back.

I'm not aware of any changes in our routine. And Puff did eat a little more --maybe 3/4 cup of her 1 1/4 cup breakfast this morning.

All three of our remaining Ziplock bags have slow leaks in them so I'm going to donate the food in those to the humane shelter and drive into Kansas City and buy some fresh Kirkland C&R. And THIS time, I'll use all new Ziplock freezer bags rather than refilling any of those used before.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Bob,

I know that I've read in numerous different places that dogs fed on a high quality kibble that have the ability to self-regulate will often skip meals as they know that they don't need anything at that time nutritionally.

check it out:
    http://www.tlcpetfood.com/login/cust...D=24&Cat1ID=24

there were other sources where I heard it as well, but can't find them right now!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Several times Puff did skip some meals for a day or so when she was about 8 months and nearing her final adult weight so she didn't need to eat as much to maintain both her current weight plus promote a lot more growth. She went from eating 5 cups a day down to 2 1/2.

I am really puzzled as to what's going on.

I donated her old food to the Humane Society and drove the 140 mile round trip to a Costco in Kansas City for a new bag of Kirkland C&R. (It also gave me a chance to check the mpg's on a 2000 Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl, 5 speed, 2 dr I bought yesterday -- 35 mpg at a steady 60 mph on cruise control, most all Interstate, no A/C use.)

We got back at Puff's supper time; I opened the new bag, put 1 1/4 cups of new Kirkland C&R in warm water that had cooked a small salmon slice -- same recipe she's eaten for years.

Puff took her fish oil capsule and G&C appetizers and then ignored her supper. After an hour, I put another dish with some plain kibble beside it.

Puff nibbled a few bites of the new plain kibble and then turned her attention to the moistened kibble with minced salmon. She ate half of the moistened salmon & kibble and then, after 15-20 minutes, finished it (but ignored all of the plain kibble).

I don't understand Puff's delay in eating.

Usually right after she gets her 2 evening pills (each with a dollop of PB), I say "Bon appetit!" and Puff turns and eats her supper in one session.

I am a little glad to see Puff lose some of her weight and get closer to her normal 62-63 lbs. and distance herself from the 67.5 lbs. she'd gotten up to.

But still puzzled......

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Have you checked her mouth for a problem (perhaps a sore tooth or something stuck between her teeth or in the roof of the mouth, or perhaps a vet visit to rule out anything because it doesn't sound like (from the history you gave)that this is normal behavior for her.

or maybe its time to try a new food, you could mix what you've got with another brand, perhaps it just doesn't appeal to her anymore??? Instead of buying a really big bag just buy a smaller one to try.

&quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

LoriWolfeLabLuv -- GREAT thought! I'll check that out tomorrow morning!!

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Bob as far as the grass eating goes, how is she eating it? Right now we are just getting the spring grass and Oona will eat the top two inches off of each blade. She is doing this because its sweet. If she were eating big clumps of grass I would be worried it was something else.
    Olie

It's just the top several inches.

I know this because when Puff eats longer stalks of grass, they go through and she passes turds suspended on, say, 2"-4" of grass stalk outside her anus (suspended from it) that I have to free her from. (I call these "stalking danglers".)

I haven't seen any of these lately.

But I've NEVER seen SO MUCH INTENSE grazing. Usually, Puff doesn't let me get out of sight on our morning walks. But when she was in her grass grazing "Holstein mode," she'd be 100 yds behind me and WAY-WAY out of sight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast