dog training/food recommendations by a trainer..aaargh

Thread: dog training/food recommendations by a trainer..aaargh

Defaultdog training/food recommendations by a trainer..aaargh

Hi all..just came in from my or should I say, Dakota's and my first day at "school". It went well..but afterwards I was food talking to the trainers ass't trainer in training about food for Dakota..I have to cut back for one thing..he's got a bit of a paunch..(my fault). Anyway, she showed us her Yellow Lab..he was enormous, as in..a small great dane type...YIKES..anyway..she said I shouldn't worry about calcium (uhhh..ok), and that I shouldn't feed a large breed food. I use Innova Large Breed puppy, btw. That Dakota isn't a large breed..she said Great Danes etc. are large breeds..well..for a while I was confused..then remembered her dog..and thought..OK..that is what Dakota would look like if I fed him too much calcium, ie: Innova Evo, never mind bones issues later on.
    Soooooooo..after trying to find the research I had saved about excess calcium in puppies..(can't find it right now) I think I should stick to my Innova LB puppy..what do you all think???? This stuff gets soooo confusing..and I know opinions are like..you know what..everyone has one. Right?
    I was also told Dakota has a beautiful head..and is a very nice looking choc lab. ;D
    He did manage to poop at the end of the class in front of everyone...........talk about embarrassing AND stinky..YIKES!!!!
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: dog training/food recommendations by a trainer..aaargh

Well, about the only thing she is arguably right about is that Labs aren't large breeds. They get lumped into that category because they share some of the same problems (some of which are exacerbated by calcium), but I think don't think most people categorize Labs as large breed dogs.

I'm curious, just what evidence does she have that says 25-30 years of research is wrong? I think you're wise to stick with what you're feeding. Even the regular Innova Puppy has the right amount of calcium (last I checked) so that would be alright. I cringe when I hear people say they feed their pups EVO, though.

I feed my 13 week puppy Innova LBP and am happy with it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Labs grow fast (at least a good proportion of lines do), and IMO, that is what edges them into the "large" breed category. They are thus prone to alot of growth related joint issues.

I do believe that many nutritionists would classify Danes as a "giant" breed.

-Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you want a summary of the research and references to feeding Lab pups a food formulated for LBs, let me know and I'll post it again.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks everyone..I appreciate the comments. I will continue to feed Dakota Innova LB puppy food!
    Jackie

If your puppy's doing well on what you're feeding, don't listen to them.

I do agree that labs aren't a large breed (at least they're not supposed to be if bred "correctly" ) and I personally don't feed a "large breed" anything food. You do have to take calcium amounts into your decision when choosing a puppy food and until recently (the last 2 yrs or so), pretty much the only foods that had a desireable amount of calcium for a breed that grows so quickly were the large breed formulas. Thankfully the majority of companies have caught on and most puppy foods have a proper amount of calcium for all puppies (~1-1.5%). "Large Breed" food is basically a gimmic at this point.

Jack and labs..I could be wrong..but I think the Innova LB puppy food only has .9%, is that sufficient..if not I can switch to the Innova regular puppy which has a bit more I think.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    If your puppy's doing well on what you're feeding, don't listen to them.

I do agree that labs aren't a large breed (at least they're not supposed to be if bred "correctly" ) and I personally don't feed a "large breed" anything food. You do have to take calcium amounts into your decision when choosing a puppy food and until recently (the last 2 yrs or so), pretty much the only foods that had a desireable amount of calcium for a breed that grows so quickly were the large breed formulas. Thankfully the majority of companies have caught on and most puppy foods have a proper amount of calcium for all puppies (~1-1.5%). "Large Breed" food is basically a gimmic at this point.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

As a breeder, I can tell you I've messed around trying various foods w/ so called acceptable levels of Ca/P.... levels as low as 1.2/1.0 that gave me non-uniform, less than ideal growth patterns. What you need to know is most labels list it as "minimum Ca" and Minimum P". I'd personally rather know the maximum, and some will provide their QC specs if you ask. I've tried Canidae (above levels), then Kirkland adult Chicken & rice (1.0/0.8) with less than ideal results. I'm back to Euk LBP as I mentioned elsewhere only because they are scaled back to 0.8/0.67, very similar to Innova LBP I have recently learned. So to me, I am a believer in not just numbers but understanding how the numbers are truly expressed. I think that calories per cup also factors in-- the higher the calorie food, the better off you SHOULD be on Ca intake as you'd theoretically be feeding less. But the real key is what that maximum level is really, and how YOUR lines do on it. No question in my mind that mine grow better on a true LBP formula. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thanks Anne..I will keep Dakota on the Innova LB puppy. I have just cut back to about 3 cups per day. If that still leaves a bit of belly on him..then I'll go down to 2 3/4 etc. Till I find the right amount. I use green beans in his night meal..and of course he gets training treats during the day.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    As a breeder, I can tell you I've messed around trying various foods w/ so called acceptable levels of Ca/P.... levels as low as 1.2/1.0 that gave me non-uniform, less than ideal growth patterns. What you need to know is most labels list it as "minimum Ca" and Minimum P". I'd personally rather know the maximum, and some will provide their QC specs if you ask. I've tried Canidae (above levels), then Kirkland adult Chicken & rice (1.0/0.8) with less than ideal results. I'm back to Euk LBP as I mentioned elsewhere only because they are scaled back to 0.8/0.67, very similar to Innova LBP I have recently learned. So to me, I am a believer in not just numbers but understanding how the numbers are truly expressed. I think that calories per cup also factors in-- the higher the calorie food, the better off you SHOULD be on Ca intake as you'd theoretically be feeding less. But the real key is what that maximum level is really, and how YOUR lines do on it. No question in my mind that mine grow better on a true LBP formula. -Anne