Food confusion - yesterday's Oprah
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food confusion - yesterday's Oprah

Daisy's Dad is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood confusion - yesterday's Oprah

Hi all.....yesterday's Oprah was about our favorite subject, dogs.....she had a vet on there who was touting the fact that the best food was raw meat, and that dry food was the worst on his list....saying it was like feeding your dogs nothing but carbs....

After talking to my vet about my 2 picky eaters, Daisy and Speckles, they've been on a dry food w/ chicken as the first ingredient, and they've been doing great on it for over a year....

So are we feeding our labs a bad diet with dry food and now we're supposed to switch to raw or cooked meat? (And btw, my girls gets plenty of fresh veggies for treats.....carrots, green beans, etc.)

Any other opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food confusion - yesterday's Oprah

riight...

vets have differing opinions just like anyone else. There are many people that believe strongly in feeding "raw".... I don't, personally, I think it's over the top and can be quite dangerous.

If I could feed my dog raw meat that was all natural and had just been killed, no worries about diseases, preservatives or anything, I would do that. But many people that feed raw only have access to the local grocery store.. and that's just so gross and wrong to feed that stuff raw. Also, raw-fed dogs are banned from doing therapy work of any kind in my area, because of the risks that it has been proven to pose.

So I just feed a good, whole-life, holistic kibble, and leave it at that!

(and I don't trust myself to be able to ensure that every single vitamin and mineral needed is being accounted for without a prepared food made especially for a dogs bodily needs)

So that, essentially is the "pro-kibble" argument, I'm sure others will provide examples of a "pro-raw" argument for you.

Ultimately, it's a choice that YOU have to make after weighing the pros and cons.

P.s. - don't listen to everything Oprah tells you......she lies!! (muahhaha) ;D ;D ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dani is offline Senior Member

No. Oprah's show yesterday was BS. They can't just make a blanket statement like that and give no specifics. Raw is good...but it's HARD...it's much more than giving your dog a chicken breast. It's oragans, and other things and making sure there is a good balance.

Commercial food is okay.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

They can't just make a blanket statement like that
    I agree. It bugs me when certain people say things like "all kibble is bad" and "kibble is unhealthy" as it is simply not true. If it was true then 95% of dogs are unhealthy which as we know is total BS. There is no denying that terrible commercial dog foods don't exist -- they do. But equally there are many high quality commercial dog foods out there.

Feeding raw is fantastic if you want to make the commitment. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with feeding a high quality kibble. I think raw is more biologically appropriate for a canine but that does not mean to say they cannot thrive on kibble. I think striking a balance is important. If you feed kibble, adding some fresh meaty bones as the occasional treat is a great idea.

If you are happy and your girls are fit, happy and healthy on kibble, stick with it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". As I said, if you are interested in adding occasional raw meals, do it. Read through the Natural Diets section -- there is tons of information on the subject.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I must say that we are lucky to have good dog foods available. Apollo is currently kibble fed, but I plan to swing him over to a kibble/raw combo at some point in the future.

Unfourtunately with ferrets commerical kibbles SUCK. FAR to many carbs for an obligate carnivore IMO natural diets for them (including whole prey AND raw meaty bones and organs) is the ONLY way to go. I think the most balanced diet for an animal is a whole prey diet, but feeding tiny mice to a ferret is one thing, feeding whole chickens (plucked but not decapitated, feet and all) to a dog in the middle of your living room is another story entirely.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

I find her info to be a bit biased, she had a holistic vet on there of course he is going to say natural is better. A good high quality dog food will do just fine.

Also, the sample meal she had there for Sophie was not a "balanced" meal at all. Mostly all carbs with some lamb...and zero calcium....

Daisy's Dad is offline Junior Member

Thanks, everyone.....I really appreciate the discussion.....

(must be nice to be a semi-billionaire and have people do things for your dogs that most of us have to do ourselves...besides, she's never given ME a car ;D)

labby is offline Senior Member

Well I've been killing my dogs for years since I'm feeding a Purina product.

I'm still waiting for the scientific info that shows my 16½ year old Lab would have lived to be 20 if fed a raw diet. I figure I must be doing something right to get my dogs into old age. Guess not.

Laura

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Dad
    Hi all.....yesterday's Oprah was about our favorite subject, dogs.....she had a vet on there who was touting the fact that the best food was raw meat, and that dry food was the worst on his list....saying it was like feeding your dogs nothing but carbs....
    I have to tell you up front that I've been feeding raw for 12 years after 13 years of feeding kibble to my labs. Didn't see the episode but if you look at the ingredients in kibble, that statement is essentially correct. Kibble is mostly carbs and dogs are carnivores whose digestive system is not designed to process carbs.

After talking to my vet about my 2 picky eaters, Daisy and Speckles, they've been on a dry food w/ chicken as the first ingredient, and they've been doing great on it for over a year....
    Regarding the listing of chicken as the first ingredient, this is a common deceptive practice used by pet food companies when they list the ingredients on the label. That "chicken" means chicken weighed when wet. The other products are dry weights. In order to make a fair comparison, all the ingredients should be listed in dry weight equivalents.

So are we feeding our labs a bad diet with dry food and now we're supposed to switch to raw or cooked meat? (And btw, my girls gets plenty of fresh veggies for treats.....carrots, green beans, etc.)
    Of course the choice is yours. You have to do what you think is best for your dogs. There are people with great genes that can eat a poor diet all their lives and live to be 100. But most of us can't do that and get away with it without chronic diet related diseases and a shorter life-span. If there was something simple you could do for your dogs so they would have a better chance to live longer with a higher quality of life, wouldn't you do it?

Any other opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated....
    A real eye opener on this subject is a list of common practices by pet food companies provided by an insider a few years ago. These are practices that they use to maximize profits to the detriment of our dogs so they would prefer that they not get out to the general public. I can post them under a separate thread if there is any interest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast