Licking Her Paws during food switch

Thread: Licking Her Paws during food switch

DefaultLicking Her Paws during food switch

Almost a week ago we began to switch Sadie from Iams LBP to Eagle Pack's Holistic Chicken & Rice LB Adult formula. We have a few more days to go before the switch will be complete, but already I see a bad sign. Starting about 2 days ago she began to nibble, lick and chew at her feet. Something she has really never done before. It's not constant and there is no visible irritation or redness that I can see, but she will spend 10-20 mintues at a time here and there doing it. Obviously an allergy related to the new food!! > Crap!

Is it possible though that perphaps this sypmtom might go away as her body adjusts and begins to accept the new food? Or do you think that this type of red flag is already too much and I should expect that this variety of Eagle Pack just isn't going to work out?

I figure I'll continue the switch until she is on the Eagle 100% and see if her foot licking increases or not. I was curious though to see if anybody had any experience with signs of allergies while introducing a new food that just seemed to go away as time went on.

Frustrated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Licking Her Paws during food switch

Obviously an allergy related to the new food!! Crap
    Not necessarily. Many people will quickly pass off something as an allergy when in reality food allergies are rare and it could be a number of things. The only real way to be sure of allergies is through testing.

Is it possible though that perphaps this sypmtom might go away as her body adjusts and begins to accept the new food? Or do you think that this type of red flag is already too much and I should expect that this variety of Eagle Pack just isn't going to work out?
    This is most likely what is happening. You need to give it longer than one week. 4-6 weeks ideally. If she is still having problems after 4-6 weeks then the food is probably not working for her. Eagle Pack Holistic is a high quality food in comparion to Iams so she may be experiencing a 'mini detox'. Give it time.

Thanks for the reply Trickster.

I link the paw licking to the Eagle Pack just because of the time line. She never/rarely licks at her paws and then suddenly now 4-5 days into switching foods, she starts? Just a little too coincidental I think. Her pads are not dry, no cuts I can see, no irritation...yet, her paws look normal.

Obviously only time will tell. Eagle Pack is better quality than the Iams...considerably better. So perhaps you're description of a "mini detox" fits the bill. "Detox"..oh my poor Sadie. She has been eating low quality for so long, her body is having trouble handling premium ingredients?

Mind you, besides the paw licking Sadie is adjusting to the Eagle Pack just fine. Her stools are good, I swear that she has shed less hair in the last week, and she likes it! I hope it works out in the end.

We did attempt a switch to high quality food when Sadie was about 6 months - Innova LBP. We had her on it for a solid 5 weeks, but her stools showed that she just couldn't adjust to it. Too rich. We switched back to Iams LBP, and within 3 meals her stool begun to be a lot more hard. We decided it was best to leave it alone until the switch to adult, so here we are. Attempting again to switch her to higher quality with less than convincing results. Like you said though, it is still early. Obviously though, the paw licking will have to stop for us to keep her on the Eagle Pack. I hope it does.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would just wait and see if it gets better. Like someone else said maybe a minidetox. I would definately give it a few weeks after you switched her over entirely.

Well, she was at it again today. I came home for lunch as usual and instinctively felt Sadie's paws when I let her out of her crate. Sure enough her front left paw was saliva soaked. She must've been going to town on that one. Again, still no sign of redness or iritation though I do think her nails are looking a little...I dunno, scaley? I think I'm just being a freak, but I can't remember if they always looked like that. Perphaps she is chewing on her nails more than anything, I'm not sure at this point.
    I was thinking though. Obviously there are a lot of different ingredients Sadie is being introduced to when going from Iams LB Puppy to Eagle Pack LB Adult. Both are chicken based but Eagle has more than one protein source (meat), that being anchovy/sardine meals aswell as pork meal. They are further down the list but they are there nonethless. Iams is stictly chicken. Of course something as simple as the Oatmeal in the Eagle could be the culprit aswell, and even any of the different compounds nearing the end of the list. But wouldn't it be a good idea to stick with a food that has only one main meat source, assuming you have a dog that is sensitive to foods as to give you a more controlled variable. For all I know it's the Pork meal which is the 6th ingredient in the Eagle as Sadie has never had pork of any kind before.
    I know, it's still early. She isn't even on the Eagle 100% yet and I just have to wait. But it's frustrating when she goes all night without a hitch, and then the next day goes to back to licking. It's a little upsetting aswell assuming that she is most likely not that comfortable, like an itch that you just can't scratch out or something along those lines!
    Anyways, as this problem consumes my brain I'll post the ingredients. Boy does that Eagle pack look a lot better than the Iams when compared side by side!
    Thanks for your replies. This site has kept me sane more than once!!

Eagle Pack Chicken/Rice LB Adult -
    Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Beet Pulp, Pork Meal, Anchovy & Sardine Meals, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Carrots, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Peas, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Apples, Blueberries, Inulin, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Beta-Carotene, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae, and Aspergillus niger.

Iams LB Smart Puppy -
    Ingredients:
    Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Grits, Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Chicken Meal, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Rosemary Extract