Another question re: food - should I cook?

Thread: Another question re: food - should I cook?

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother question re: food - should I cook?

I'm gonna need a new bag of food very soon. I am afraid to buy one. I've used Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice for years and never had a problem.
    3 of the 4 first ingredients are Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran.
    Further down the list it says Whole Brown Rice.
    I'm afraid that 10 minutes after I buy a new bag and Buddy eats some, another report will come out that says not to use these.
    I've read the other posts in this section about the grain free foods. Are the ones mentioned definitely safe? Where does one find these? Do pet stores carry them?

If I buy chop meat or chopped chicken, what do I mix it with to feed him? What do I do with it, boil it? How much of whatever do I give him to equal 1-1/4 cups of dog kibble he usually gets? Would it be the same amount? His dinner usually is 1-1/4 cup of dog kibble and 1 cup of green beans. Is human rice ok with the meat? Isn't he going to miss out on the vitamins, etc. that his kibble has? He takes a Vitacap every morning with his fish oil caps and glucosamine supplement. Is that sufficient?
    I don't cook for my kids anymore but I'll cook to keep Buddy safe if I have to. I know that sounds awful but they (kids, ages 19 and 21) go out or are out and don't necessarily come home when I'm awake.
    Suggestions would be truly appreciated - especially about amount of human food.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another question re: food - should I cook?

Check out the raw feeding thread. Raw foods are much better for dogs then cooked foods. If you are interested in a more natural diet the natrual section on JL is the place to go. I reccomend reading some old posts and then asking a specific question.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Cooking is an option, i am a raw feeder so i don't cook but have done some research. When cooking food for dogs there is a science to it as cooked meat alone is not enough. You have to add vitamins and minerals and other stuff.
    (I know thats not a very explanitory answer but i know cooked meat alone is not good/balanced.)
    I know making your own (cooked) can be done though. I would suggest you google and see the multitude of info that comes up when you search 'homemade dog food' or ask a 'hip' vet. Maybe someone else here has more info. Have you thought about raw feeding?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You CAN homecook, but it is much better to feed raw. Many nutrients are lost in the cooking process and it is more time consuming. However, if you are prepared to do your research I am sure you can make a success of it.

Although the food recalls have not effected us in this country, I can see why many people are concerned about kibble. I have to say though that while you should avoid the recalled brands, not all kibble is bad, grains or no grains. There are plenty of brands who have not be effected by the recall so perhaps you should look into one of them.

Grain free kibble:
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

Pam

Thanks for the suggestions!!
    The girls in my vet's office said a chocolate lab died recently and they thought it was from food so I'm assuming if the dog was a patient there, the food must have been around here somewhere.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Don't start throwing all your dried kibble away. The indredient that was bad was GLUTEN and from a foreign country. If you want to do raw or homecooked fine, but don't freak yourself out that you don't want to feed anything commericially made. Check with the manufacturer to see where they buy their ingredients. If it's from the USA and isn't a gluten product, you are fine.

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I feed my dog and my fosters Nutro Lamb and Rice. They are all very healthy and are doing great. It is all about what works for your dogs. If your dog is doing well on this food, there is really no reason to change it.

My last foster arrived in very bad shape. Hot spots, poor coat, severe dandruff, overweight, skin tags, stinky, way stinky poo, and very little energy. After two months on Nutro, he is looking great. He has a nice, healthy, shiny coat. Almost all of his hot spots are gone. He has only a little dandruff, he doesn't smell anymore, and a fair amount of energy for a six year old. Nutro has worked great for him.

Having said that, there are probably owners on this forum who have used Nutro and have had to switch to a different brand. Do what works for your dog!

Pam

I love the Nutro. Buddy does very well on it. There was a drastic improvement in every category after I switched him a few years ago to the Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I had such great results, my daughter switched her 2 labs to it last year. Even my hairdresser and a couple of the techs at the salon switched. I don't remember the last time I saw him scratch himself. I know what time of day he will poop. I'm just scared cause every day new foods are being added to the recall list. I had two 40 lb. bags in the house that I'm just getting to the bottom of. The mere thought of buying a new bag, using it and having it added to the list makes me shake.