14 yrs old, arthritus solution plz?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 yrs old, arthritus solution plz?

Default14 yrs old, arthritus solution plz?

Hi everyone,
    Seems I feel my dog will live forever but right now I'm quickly learning he's on his way out :*( Or maybe its a temporary ailment. I've noticed for the last year he doesn't trot like he use to. But last night it was kinda muggy in my bedroom and had the ceiling fan going on him all night, he didn't get out of bed all day and night. And he seems to limp a little... very sluggish. What is a good pill or something that will help his arthritus or just plain make him feel good? I mean plz tell me anything... I need to do whatever it takes to assist this ol' boy.
    Thankyou,
    Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 14 yrs old, arthritus solution plz?

Well to start I would definitely consult your vet before giving him any medication whatsoever!!

Two that you might want to mention as possibilities to him/her are glucosamine and chondroitin (Those are probably both spelt wrong!)

They helped our 14 year old wheaten tremendously with joint pain.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would recommend a full health check up just to make sure nothing is wrong. If it is just arthritis, you can supplement with glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, fish oil and glycoflex. At least, the G, C, and MSM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Ken - sorry to hear about your lab.

Twelve years ago, my 13 year old black lab had the same problems and some much worse.

After many meds and no improvement from my regular vet, I finally found a holistic vet who's treatment made a difference. The most radical change recommended by this vet was to switch to an all raw diet immediately (which I did). Slowly she began to gain more energy and she was able to exercise more. The quality of her life improved dramatically and stayed that way up to a month before she died at the age of 19. There were several other things this holistic vet did to initially turn her health around (e.g., chiropractic, vitamin B shots, herbal treatments, etc.). But once she was back to normal, I'm convinced that continuing the raw diet was one of the major reasons for maintaining her good health (along with lots of exercise).

Have you considered a raw diet for your lab? There's a good section here on the forum with lots of good info from experienced raw feeders to get you started.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I agree with what everybody else said. As far as prescription medication, you might ask your vet about Rimadyl or equivalent. Rimadyl is an anti-inflamatory and many dogs with joint issues/arthritis take it (my Lab included).

Another possibility is Adequan. It's an injection and for some dogs it works miracles (my Lab is also on Adequan).

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Well thankyou very much everyone,
    I read that article and am excited to try and mix up some kind of raw diet, but I have no idea where to start with that lol. I'll do a search but can someone refer me to a good link about raw diet recipies? Also will ask this vet tomorrow about glucosamine and chondroitin. I'd like to do something for my dog right away, vet appointment isn't till tomorrow, is this stuff sold at drug stores by chance? And my dog weighs 70lbs what would you suppose the dosage will be? Sorry bout all the questions ... just would hate to have to put him down :'(
    Paz and I greatly appreciate this,
    Ken

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganboy
    I read that article and am excited to try and mix up some kind of raw diet, but I have no idea where to start with that lol. I'll do a search but can someone refer me to a good link about raw diet recipies?
    Check out the Natural/Raw Diet and Holistic Care section of this forum. Lots of good info and links for starting a raw diet. I think on page 2 there's some raw diets sample menus posted by forum members. Here's the direct link:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...oard,46.0.html

Also, here's a link to some good Raw Feeding FAQs to get you started:

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

1500mg of Glucosamin and 1200mg of Chondroitin. You can also do 1000mg of MSM.

Update: I had an appointment with a new vet yesterday but cancelled it cuz Paz is doing 100% better. He's still old and probably has some arthritis but am beginning the raw diet for him. He just loves the chicken quarters I hand feed him and see his energy level has come way up. Now this raw diet thing is all new to me but I have been reading quite a bit about it and hope to have a good understanding with what and when to feed my Paz. Just because he's 14 years old doesn't mean he's done for right? I mean as the previous poster said they can live till 19? Should've discovered this forum years ago.
    Thx,
    Ken and Paz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast