Anyone Feed Innova?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Feed Innova?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone Feed Innova?

I'm thinking of switching from Pro Plan to Innova. My pup is 5 months old and is on Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy and the breeder recommended switching her to Adult at 5 months old, which is now. So, if I switch to Innova, do I use Large breed puppy food, or adult? I would really appreciate any feedback on those of you that use Innova. Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone Feed Innova?

I once used their LB formula and liked it a lot. I also recommend sticking with LB until about a year, if not a little longer.

Dani is offline Senior Member

There are several schools of thought on Large breed feeding...so I am going to say that you should do whatever makes sense to you.

Many say to wait until 12 months of age to switch to adult...but I will do it at around 6 months as I did with Rider. Wether or not I stay on LB then depends on if I stay with what he's eating.

I feed Innova EVO, but did feed the Adult for awhile...and Rider liked it and did very well on it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I believe there is a pretty high CA++ content in EVO- for my breeder (and many others) feeding it to a pup under a certain age, it voids a hip/elbow guarantee. Do a search on this forum before switching

Also, the vet I worked for showed me many studies about the benefits of waiting to switch to adult food until later (there are many different schools of thought on this, obviously)- It is thought to control the rate of growth, which may help prevent uneven growth and joint problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    I believe there is a pretty high CA++ content in EVO- for my breeder (and many others) feeding it to a pup under a certain age, it voids a hip/elbow guarantee. Do a search on this forum before switching

Also, the vet I worked for showed me many studies about the benefits of waiting to switch to adult food until later (there are many different schools of thought on this, obviously)- It is thought to control the rate of growth, which may help prevent uneven growth and joint problems.
    Dani is more than capable of explaining it herself, but I thought I'd just throw out that I'm pretty sure she didn't start feeding EVO until Rider was grown. I think she's just saying what she's feeding now (another Innova product).

As for feeding puppy or adult foods, it can be a complicated issue. The studies don't really "prove" that you should feed a puppy food until a certain age, they do "prove" that you should be mindful of calcium. You can do that, and still feed an adult food.

The key is feeding an adult food that is for all life stages and has an appropriate calcium and phosphorus level (and ratio). Feeding an adult food formulated just for maintenance will not work for a puppy. There are foods, like Canidae, that you could feed to a dog for its entire life (from the day you bring him home until the day he crosses the bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

Dani is more than capable of explaining it herself, but I thought I'd just throw out that I'm pretty sure she didn't start feeding EVO until Rider was grown. I think she's just saying what she's feeding now (another Innova product).
    Sorry, I didn't want to add confusion- I wasn't trying to imply that Dani did- I was trying suggest to OP that switching a 5 month puppy to high calcium food may not be the best plan.

Oh okay, my bad. Yeah, I definitely agree, high calcium foods are bad for pups.

Dani is offline Senior Member

And that is why I threw in the info about the regular Innova...they have non EVO formulas too. I didn't start Rider on EVO until he was 2.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We fed Grace Innova Puppy for a few months before we put her on Adult food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast