Can Anyone Recommend A Dog Food With NO Wheat, Rice or Corn???
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Recommend A Dog Food With NO Wheat, Rice or Corn???

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan Anyone Recommend A Dog Food With NO Wheat, Rice or Corn???

I'm tired (and scared) of all this recall B.S. Can somebody recommend a top quality, healthy, wheat/corn/rice-free dog food? Please? I don't care about the cost, so that is not a factor. Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can Anyone Recommend A Dog Food With NO Wheat, Rice or Corn???

I have had amazing results with TLC.

It does have some wheat and brewers rice in it, but TLC is a small, private company, and doesn't buy from the same suppliers as the "big guns"

My breeder feeds it from day one, has for years and years and years. The only health problem her pups have had in 20 YEARS is one puppy being diagnosed with gr. 1 hip dysplasia. (I think that's due to a lot more than just diet, but I'm sure it helps!)

You can only get it by ordering over the internet, though, which is a bit of a pain, but I've noticed a huge change in peanut since she's been on it (small poops, more energy, coat that absolutely GLEAMS)

It's also highly concentrated, so you only feed 1 cup per 20 lbs of body weight. (little more if feeding a puppy) it really encourages slow growth.

I wanted high quality holistic, and I won't feed raw (I feel that it's over-the-top, dangerous in many ways, and my dog/s wouldn't be allowed to work as a therapy dog if I fed raw) Anyways, TLC is the way to go for me!

http://tlcpetfood.com/
    Best of luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Orijen

Hard to find, but there is a palce in Florida that ships it and now a place in NJ just started carrying it.

My pup has been on it for about 1 month and do awesome!

It is based in Canada. They have a large breed formula as well.

How old is your pup?

I use Canidae for Grace and have been very impressed with how she has improved since the switch about 2 years ago from Science Diet. I use the All life Stages formula, there is rice, but all of their ingredients are of US origin, they do not use any product imported from China or other countries. There is no corn, wheat, soy, beet pulp or other fillers and they do not use any form of grain glutens in their foods.

www.canidae.com

I googled grain free dog food and here is a page that came up listing about 16 products. I only checked out this one link, so you may want to do some more research.

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/sea...-free-dog-food

Good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

My pup is 5 months old. I looked at Orijen on the dog food analysis and they gave it very high ratings, but did say it was not suitable for puppies. Crap!

The company makes a large breed formula with the correct calcium and phosphorous levels for a large breed pup. It still has high protein but there is no proof that affects growth. I started using it at 12.5 months (large breed) and just switched at 14 months to the adult formula per their recommedation when I emailed and called them.

Many will say it has too much protein ITO, but I have not seen any studies saying it has any affect on growth. Plus, I know my pup is trim and has great hips and elbows according to pennhip and OFA.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Repeat--- Buy a food that has HUMAN GRADE INGREDIENTS. This panic over dog food is something else! All you need to do is buy food that has had the ingredients inspected as human grade and you are fine. Canidae is one. There are many good foods out there. Look in the holistic/natural aisle. It's not the RICE per se, that is being recalled either-- it's the stuff they spray on it to "enrich" it (just like you probably have in your own kitchen cupboard) that was found to contain the melamine from China.

As for puppies, one that I'm going to look into is Innova Lg Breed Puppy. It has the same low Ca/P levels as Euk LBP but much better ingredients (which are more consistent w/ Canidae, that I feed my adults). Some of the other good LBP formulas have way too high of Ca/P for my lines so I am really careful... I want nice even growth, no (v. little) knuckling. Canidae was too high in Ca/P for my pups (and a few other breeders that have tried it), unfortunately, so I went back to Euk LBP as it's available locally.
    -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Repeat--- Buy a food that has HUMAN GRADE INGREDIENTS. This panic over dog food is something else! All you need to do is buy food that has had the ingredients inspected as human grade and you are fine. Canidae is one. There are many good foods out there. Look in the holistic/natural aisle. It's not the RICE per se, that is being recalled either-- it's the stuff they spray on it to "enrich" it (just like you probably have in your own kitchen cupboard) that was found to contain the melamine from China.

As for puppies, one that I'm going to look into is Innova Lg Breed Puppy. It has the same low Ca/P levels as Euk LBP but much better ingredients (which are more consistent w/ Canidae, that I feed my adults). Some of the other good LBP formulas have way too high of Ca/P for my lines so I am really careful... I want nice even growth, no (v. little) knuckling. Canidae was too high in Ca/P for my pups (and a few other breeders that have tried it), unfortunately, so I went back to Euk LBP as it's available locally.
    -Anne
    I was also going to say Innova Lg breed puppy.

Orijen definitely makes large breed puppy food www.championpetfoods.com Its high protein, low carb and zero grain, 70% vet inspected meats, chicken, northern white fish, eggs, regional fruits and veggies, native botanical, and salmon, flax and chicken and sunflower oils. Have used it and totally recommend it. If you can find it in the states! Its made about 1 hour from me and from what I gather is just starting to be exported to the USA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast