Switching from Puppy to Adult Food

Thread: Switching from Puppy to Adult Food

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwitching from Puppy to Adult Food

At the recommendation from the breeder, we are supposed to switch our puppy from large breed puppy food to adult at the age of 5 months, which is now. We have been feeding her Pro Plan. I am thinking of switching. I was thinking of trying Pro Plan Selects. Does anybody feed this, and if so, any thoughts? I actually would prefer to not feed her ANY commercial dog food at this point, but I am running out of her Pro Plan and do not have what I feel is sufficient knowledge yet to feed raw or homemade. I don't want to keep switching her food on her. I was wondering what you all thought. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Switching from Puppy to Adult Food

If she's currently doing well on the puppy food, the easiest switch would be to the regular chicken and rice adult pro plan. You certainly could try the selects formula, just switch a litter slower being that you'd be changing proteins.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Now I don't even know if I want to stay with Pro Plan PERIOD, or with any Purina products for that matter! Another thread in this forum is saying that there might be a recall on Pro Plan, OR it may just be a rumor. WTF. I am so afraid to keep feeding her this stuff. Pro Plan (both puppy food and adult) contain corn gluten. I have called Purina, and emailed them about this. All "answers" were vague and certainly did not put my mind to rest. This STINKS. I don't know what to do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I really don't get why the breeder is having you switch from a Lg Breed Puppy food which is intended for the full growth period. You are now entering probably the most rapid, most critical growth stage for joints! The LBP formulas *should be* formulated w/ lower Ca++ and P for uniformly slow bone growth. Granted, some of the adult foods have similar levels, but that's the main thing to watch. That and letting him get overweight (and jumping too much, etc).

Interestingly enough, the last time I compared ProPlan LBP and adult formulas there was no difference in the Ca++/P levels! ??? Calorie wise, the adult was higher, so theoretically, you WOULD be feeding less of a high cal food, and therefore less Ca/P. Never made sense to me why their formulas are made that way when the research that went into Lg Breed formulas show a need for scaled back Ca/P intake. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014