It's Mange...!

Thread: It's Mange...!

DefaultIt's Mange...!

Just had a phonecall from the vet confirming that it is mange that Tay has got.
    We are really upset as we were sure it was a skin infection as the ceflexin has cleared the area really well and hes not scratching etc...
    We have different vets at the practice as its fairly rural and the vet that initially saw Tay wants to continue with his treatment, so we are going to see him Friday PM.
    Its contagious to humans and I have 2 kids (aged 8+9 yrs) so its going to be a right pain in the xxxx!
    If anyone has had this with their lab would you let me know what happened, treatment, results etc .
    I don't know if its demodex or sarcoptic mange as yet although I'm sure the bloods were for sarcoptic!
    Thanks Rachel

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: It's Mange...!

I never knew it was contagious. Sending good thoughts your way. Mambo had mange, but I am sure its not the same type.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo
    I never knew it was contagious. Sending good thoughts your way. Mambo had mange, but I am sure its not the same type.
    Just done a little research and apparently its the same as the human form of scabies, thats why its contagious to us humans!! Oh bless him cuddles are out of bounds for a little while, plenty of treat I think. :'(

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm so sorry! I know I would be worried if my dogs had manage with little ones around! I'm sure it can be managed, though!

mange is the same as ringworms? just asking.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitoy
    mange is the same as ringworms? just asking.
    I am not positive, but I wouldn't think so. Mange is caused from Mites. Atleast the type Mambo had was and ringworm is a bacteria.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Whether or not it is contagious depends on what type of mange he has.

When Peanut was a puppy, she was diagnosed with juvenile onset generalized demodectic mange. (generalized just meant whole body, whereas "localized" was just head and legs)

This type of mange is not contagious.

Demodectic mites reside on every living thing (humans, cats, dogs, etc.) In pretty much all cases, the immune system of the body regulates those mites and keeps them under control.

Peanut was born with a suppressed immune system. So, when her mother naturally transferred the mites to her (as all mothers do everywhere) The mites took over, because Peanut's immune system couldn't regulate and control them. As a result she had major hair loss, and developed more than a few secondary bacterial infections.

It's not contagious, because you would have to have a suppressed immune system to get it. Normal immune systems regulate these mites with ease.

Well, it took the better part of a year and a lot of medication, but her immune system kicked in (finally) and we haven't had any problems since.

However, sarcoptic mange is a whole other thing (I don't think it's as serious, actually, because I remember when Peanut was being diagnosed I hoped for sarcoptic!)

But if you have any questions about demodectic mange, feel free to ask me, I became a bit of a reluctant expert on the topic! :

Best of luck!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Hi, Thankyou for all your replies!
    Well Tay looks alot better all looks clear on the large patch on the side of his face just needs the fur to grow back, although the vet would never make a good hairdresser, he shaved him in wiggly lines!!
    Scabies is caused by mites on humans and makes you itch like mad, although it has a short life cycle and does die off, unlike its close relative mange which rejuvenates on dogs causing terrible side effects!! (can't you tell I've been busy reading up) :
    We have kept scrupulous hygiene practices whilst Tay has had this and have had no problems.
    Off to Victor the vet on Friday (yes thats his real name) to see what happens next, will post update.
    Rachel.