FDA report from the Decmber 2005 recall of Diamond Pet Foods

Thread: FDA report from the Decmber 2005 recall of Diamond Pet Foods

DefaultFDA report from the Decmber 2005 recall of Diamond Pet Foods

The FDA's Report on the Diamond Pet Foods Recall
    An investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration was launched after Dec. 20, 2005, when Diamond Pet Foods recalled about 1 million pounds of dried pet food made Sept. 1 through Dec. 7 (bearing use-by dates of March 1, 2007, through June 7, 2007).
    The FDA recently released a report of its findings on the Diamond Pet Food case, wherein Federal regulators found widespread failure to test corn and other ingredients that went into the dog food made in the fall of 2005 at Diamond Pet Foods' plant in Gaston, South Carolina. Following the report's release, Diamond Pet Foods admitted that it failed to follow its own testing guidelines.

In the report, U.S. FDA investigators determined:

Tests could not be verified for more than half the corn samples arriving at the plant during the critical periods of September and October because the samples were missing. The samples were either lost or never taken, according to the FDA. Without them, the FDA was unable to determine exactly how much aflatoxin (if any) wound up in the dog food that used these batches of corn
    Among the samples that were kept, FDA tests found aflatoxin ranging from 90 parts per billion to 1,851 ppb ? four to 90 times the FDA's limit of 20 parts per billion for human and pet foods. Those samples represented four truckloads of corn the company tested and cleared and used to make dog food
    In 16 samples of batches of dried dog food, aflatoxin was found at levels beyond the government's limit

The S.C. Department of Agriculture has provided aflatoxin testing to farmers, food manufacturers, and others free of charge as a public service; however, the test is not required by state or federal law. Diamond Pet Foods did not take advantage of the department's free aflatoxin testing service
    The inspection also found that Diamond accepted shipments of wheat flour, rice bran, and chicken byproduct meal between Jan. 3 and 17, despite testing that found most of the ingredients did not meet the company's own content specifications for protein, moisture, fat, ash, and fiber.

Of 21 shipments of wheat flour accepted during the two-week period, 17 failed testing of three or more of the five specifications. All five accepted shipments of rice bran failed on four of five specifications, and six of seven accepted shipments of chicken byproduct meal failed four specifications tested.

The FDA's findings did not carry any penalties. Diamond Pet Foods reports it has taken the necessary actions to prevent these oversights from happening in the future.

Kelly and Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: FDA report from the Decmber 2005 recall of Diamond Pet Foods

Thank you.

We feed Kirkland C&R (made by Diamond) made in in the Meta, MO (home office) plant.

Before reading your report, I thought it was an isolated instance of one load of contaminated corn that slipped through in the GA plant.

But from this report, there were longer systemic problems in that Georgia plant.

I trust that Diamond has tightened their controls at all plants following this incident.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

i was trying to find out hat the final death toll was for the recall in dec/05 and the only number that came up was just over 100. I did notice that in this Diaamond recall they also gave out expiration dates that they later had to expand like Menu foods did with this recall. I think that it might always be better to avoid the products in general regardles of the dates and codes the manufacturer initially supplies.
    I am waiting to see what the next senate hearing will have for information and also for the next FDA press conference which will be on every Tuesday and Thursday until there is a solution reached.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think that's been out for a while now, or maybe it was just the preliminary report. Either way, that's what precipitated their new 151-point check system they mention on their website.