chewable benadryl

Thread: chewable benadryl

Defaultchewable benadryl

Is it okay to give dogs the childrens grape flavored chewable benadryl tabs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: chewable benadryl

It probably is as I have given adults Benadryl to my dog but you should really check with the vet first. I think a lot depends on the weight of your dog and the dosage you are giving.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Hmmm, as long as it contains no artificial sugars and is the regular benadryl, maybe. But I would totally check with the vet first.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Please don't give a dog ANY human medicines without asking your vet FIRST.

I'll never forget the night I had to rush one of my dogs to the vet in an emergency about 1 in the morning. There was a dog out back in the hospital & all I could hear was this ghastly moaning & crying. I asked my vet what was wrong with it & he told me its owner (who was a nurse) gave it a human antibiotic. It set off toxic shock that damaged its liver & I think the heart as well as a multitude of other problems.

When I took my dog back later that day for a check up, I asked the vet how that dog was. He had to euthanize it just before I got there. The sound of that dog dying is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life. It was a classic case of a know all owner who just because she was a nurse thought that made her a qualified vet. She & her poor dog suffered the consequences. I found out later that dog was a Labrador.

PLEASE DON'T EVER GIVE A DOG HUMAN MEDICATION WITHOUT A VETS ADVICE. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

For sure check with a vet, but I have given Peanut children's benadryl (liquid kind) as per vet's direction. (Peanut is 15 pounds, she told me to give her half of the recommended dose for children under 6.. or was it children under 2... I don't remember! It was a long time ago)

But yah, definitely check with the vet, too many variables in that one.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I looked at the ing. and there is aspartame in there so I guess I won't be giving that. I can't get the adult tabs here that you can break in half. Lilly's dosage is 12.5 or less so I need to break them. I may check into getting a bottle from the vet. She occasionally needs it for the itchies and was prescribed it before.

I use adult benedryl (only the regular) for our Yorkie who's only 8 lbs I just use a sharp knife to break the tablets while in the package. They break easier that way and more evenly normally. Each tab is 25mg they say to give 1-2 mg per pound of body weight. So depending on how bad he's itching he normally gets between 1/4 and 1/3 tablet.
    Mocha gets them too if she's itchy (which isn't very often) but for her it's easy because she's bigger and can take whole tablets.

I would not use the childrens or the liquid though without asking the vet to be sure. They have other things in them to make them taste good (well better).

When Belle had her first shots she had a reaction to them. There was a big ping pong size swollen spot on her rump.
    Vet gave her some other meds and told me to give her 1/2 children's chewable Benadryl.
    That was with a vet telling me to though.
    Why do you want to give it?

If Lilly gets a little bug bite or feels itchy she itches until her belly and chest gets raw. She is on flea treatment and has been checked before. It is only occasionally so we don't think it is food allergies. Knock on wood, it has been a month now since she was itching crazy the last time.