Little Mystery, need help plz

Thread: Little Mystery, need help plz

DefaultLittle Mystery, need help plz

There are two things that are concerning me about Merlin at the moment. He has diarrhea, and seems to have a small amount of difficulty swallowing. (so far its been with a piece of bread that I thought he should have been able to eat, and a piece of meat roll, that I would've cut smaller, but my partner gave him his dinner last night. Although, Merlin usually is fine with any size food.

So, three things I am thinking about.

1)In his dinner last night, the meat that i fetched out of his mouth after he wouldn't swallow it seemed a little raw when I chopped it up. He has never had raw meat before, except on bones.

2)The night before last, my partner (sorry to get him into it again) gave him some noodles, that I thought would be too hot for him.

3) Yesterday, my partner gave him a marrow bone, now we cant find the bone, it has gone missing. Although out backyard is sort of a jungle, I would've thought if it was still around Merlin would find it and start on it again.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid about him not being able to swallow that piece of bread. Maybe it was just too big for him?

Could he have tried to swallow the marrow bone, cut his throat a bit on a marrow bone piece, and now the marrow bone is stuck in his stomach, causing diarrhea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Little Mystery, need help plz

Could he swallow the bread at all? Can he eat a treat? How big was the marrow bone? If Merlin is still having problems tomorrow, you may want to call your vet and ask what they think.

Merlin just vomited all the other bread pieces he ate. :'( It was only one piece he couldn't eat. It was no larger than the other pieces. The marrow bone was about 10cm long, by 5cm at the thickest part. I personally just cannot see him swallowing it.

The vet isnt open today, or I would be there right now.

I have pressed on his stomach, to see if i can feel anything, and I cant, I have also felt down his neck/throat, still nothing, and no wincing.

:'( ow my poor poor merlin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is he acting alright otherwise? Our emergency vet (open all night long) is GREAT about talking things out over the phone. Is that an option for you? It sounds like the bone is to big to swallow whole.

I understand your worry. I hope Merlin feels better real soon. Can you go to another vet? If he did swallow a piece of the bone, an x-ray would show it, and if there is nothing on the x-ray at least you would have peace of mind that there was not a blockage, and that it may be something that is just temporarily upsetting his tummy.

He is acting a bit mopey, but thats to be expected. I think it must be something he ate this morning or last night. The meat roll looked slightly uncooked, but its supposed to be fully cooked meat. I wont give him any more, and just give him a few biscuits and see if he gets better.

If he doesn't show signs of getting better tomorrow, its definitely off to the vets.
    Thanks for your help!

My first dog died of esophageal cancer and had both those symptoms, but there are alot of other things that can cause those problems such as heartburn even. It doesn't sound like a blockage if he has diarehha. As long as he keeps pooping then thats a good sign as far as blockages go. Marrow causes loose stools and bone causes hard stools.
    I would watch what goes in and out of him and take him to the vet tomorrow.

Kelly and Amber