I think my dog is constipated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my dog is constipated

DefaultI think my dog is constipated

We've had Belle for about a week and put her on Purina Dog chow. I am assuming she is bunged up cause of it. Now she doesnt want to eat her food. She seems a little less playful.

What can I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I think my dog is constipated

I have an appt in a couple of hours...I'm kinda worried.

She occasionally limps on the right, when she is standing and I rub her tummy, she lifts her leg, she is sleeping in the dirt where she normally doesnt lay, and she doesnt really want to play or socialize, but when I get to her, she WANTS me to rub her tummy and she is all sucky.

I know it could be anything from homesickness, to constipation, to who knows what.

As a new owner I, unfortunately, have no advice. However an appointment with your vet is the right thing to do. He/she will know how to help her health. You're a good owner to take your pet there.

Good luck and please post you're results.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

It could be from the change in food but I always worry about an obstruction. Please let us know what your vet says. It is always best to get them checked.

I took her in... this also happened to be her first visit since I got her last week. He did an exam and 'felt' for constipation ( said she wasnt) and did the head to toe, temp, ears, mouth. Felt her tummy Got her rabies and distemper vaccines too.

He couldnt find anything wrong with her, called her healthy! and said the limp wasnt from pain, just from habit.

I just fed her and she walked away from it....maybe homesick?

She also wants to stay outside, and doesnt come when I call her in ( granted, its a nice day!)
    I guess I'll give it a couple days... maybe the fun and newness of our house got boring.
    I still try to cuddle and snuggle, and she obliges, but you can tell her hearts not in it.

Hi IMO I would change dog foods. Purina dog chow is not a good quality wholesome food :-X. There are a multitude of better foods. Biologically appropriate kibbles cost more but the dog eats less as they are not being filled up on grains. Dogs are carnivores and they lack the digestive system to utilize 'alot' of carbs. Dogs digestive system is designed for a diet of mostly (meat and bone and organ) protein so look for foods with less grain and more meat. Your dog will surely thank you! I would also suggest some liver to loosen things up if you suspect constipation, although if she's not eating much she probably wouldn't poop too much either! I am raw feeder and have found that feeding a fair amount of organ or a whole meal of organ causes loose stools so maybe feeding that would help! i have also heard that raw canned pumpkin helps with either diarrhea or constipation although i have not tried it. Good Luck i hope she feels better. ;D

Is she vomiting at all? Drinking any water? If she is not eating and not pooping; I'd find another vet as something is not right. Try another dog food...you can get Purina ONE at grocery stores or ProPlan and others at Petsmart. Try to see if she will at least eat something.....if she has gone several days without eating; that is definitely not normal.

Thank you for the advice. I will continue feeding with the Purina, no sense in changing anything now if it has already been a change for her. I have no doubt that the food is fine.

I respect your decision to feed 'better' more meaty foods. If I thought the food was 'harming' her, of course I would switch...I just think the new food is just that; new.

Happy weekend!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd agree that Purina is a horrible food....and she's probably letting you know that.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I had my cat on "kitten chow" by Purina when we first got him. (I worked at Canadian tire (like home depot) and a man walked in with a box of kittens, myself and a few colleagues took them, and kitten chow was the only food we sold in the store (hardware store, selling this food, prolly I should have clued in then! :) - I'd never had a cat before, can you tell? :)

Anyhoo, a few weeks later, I noticed his poop *stank* (like, couldn't go near the litter box, and I cleaned it everyday!) and he had some issues with "going #2". I went to our local pet store (not a vet, I was dumb back then!) and told the lady that owned it about the problems I was having. She asked me what I fed him. When I told her, her eyes went wide and she proceeded to chastise me for like, ten minutes about feeding my baby such a crappy food (this particular store even SOLD kitten chow!!)

If "that lady" ever reads this, thank you!

all in all, I switched his food and he's never had another problem (he's 5 now). So I wouldn't touch any kind of Purina with a ten foot pole!! ;D

This is what I feed now: (won't go raw but still wanted high quality holistic)
    http://tlcpetfood.com/

good luck with your baby!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast