Using supplements to prevent UTIs

Thread: Using supplements to prevent UTIs

DefaultUsing supplements to prevent UTIs

My Cassie, at 13 weeks old, has her second UTI . We're not positive if it's a new one or if we didn't completely eliminate the first one, the timing of the recurrance is suspect (symptomatic 7 days after finishing the first course of abx). The vet suggested we run a full culture of her urine 48 hours after completing this course of meds to ensure it's completely gone ($$cha-ching$$). If it's not we will continue to treat, probably switching antibiotics, but there seem to be few options for safe us in growing puppies.

If the UTI is in fact gone I'd like to consider taking steps to prevent a recurrance. A friend, who is a cat person, suggested giving her cranberry capsules, which makes sense to me since I know some people who do this for themselves. But I have no details on using cranberry caps, or any other supplement, to prevent her from getting UTIs in the future. Has anyone used supplements as a preventative therapy in a dog prone to UTIs? Any advice for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Using supplements to prevent UTIs

Does she have an INNIE OR AN OUTIE? This article may be helpful to you.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Yes, lots of people use cranberry capsules to prevent UTIs in dogs. I have a friend who has her six month old puppy on cranberry and she hasn't had a UTI since her initial one several months ago.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I keep pH test strips (like hot tub ones) on hand here and collect my pups if I think they've got something brewing. If the pH is high (8, usually), I will immediately give them a Vit C tablet (not ester, but the ascorbic acid form). This will bring the pH down quickly and cheaply.... unless the bacteria is already well established in which case the antibiotics are needed. Cranberry caps work the same way. I've also read about using Uva Ursi (1 cap 2x/day)-- a holistic approach. I'm going to try that the next time I raise a pup as my little girls almost always have at least 1, if not 2 before they are 17 wks old!
    Do a google on UTI canine and you should bring up some good articles. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Can you try taking a wet wipe and cleaning her after she goes potty every time. That should help them from reoccuring too. I know there are several on here with pups with innie vulvas that have to wipe them or the get a UTI. Something about the extra folds holding bacteria causing the infections.

She has an "outie", so hopefully this won't be a chronic problem. I never thought I'd ever have to do a puppy vulva inspection . I'll do some further research on the use of cranberry as a preventative. Thanks everyone.

First she is beautiful. It isn't uncommon for female puppies to have UTI's. Oona had three before she was 1. Each time the vet perscribed Watham's dog food to get the ph back to normal and then when we would switch back to a regular brand but different from the one she got the UTI from. We did give her a tablespoon of plain Dannon yogurt once a day, and she didn't have another one until I took her off of the yogurt while I was trying to determine if she had an allergy to dairy.
    Olie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Cranberry is good. You can also supplement some yogurt or probiotics. I have also heard that a small amount of cider vinegar in her water also help. Whether she has an innie or outie per your inspection, you MAY want to consider waiting on spaying her. It seems that females with high incidents of UTI's do better if their female parts are fully developed before spaying.

Thanks for the advice. We have a follow-up with her vet this week for a urine culture after this round of abx is done. My plan is to ask his advice on preventative measures as well as discussing whether I should wait until after she's had her first season before having her spayed. I have a strong feeling he's going to push for spaying her at 6-ish months (as he did with my first pup) but I will continue to do research on the subject before scheduling her surgery because I understand there are other benefits to waiting beyond the UTI aspect.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I think that the probiotics and cranberry are great ideas for ways to hopefully help prevent further infections as well as help to take care of this one.

Make sure you also ask the vet about the types of antibiotics that she's currently on and whether or not they'd be affected by cranberry, etc...many people don't think about it, since cranberries and other holistic types of treatments seem somewhat innocuous, but cranberry is also acidic, and some medications (some antibiotics included) don't absorb well in acidic environments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    My plan is to ask his advice on preventative measures as well as discussing whether I should wait until after she's had her first season before having her spayed. I have a strong feeling he's going to push for spaying her at 6-ish months (as he did with my first pup) but I will continue to do research on the subject before scheduling her surgery because I understand there are other benefits to waiting beyond the UTI aspect.
    Also remember- your vet can't make your decisions for you, she can only make recommendations. Veterinarians often want to jump into spaying/neutering because they constantly teach in vet school about the benefits *because* of pet overpopulation (and I'm sure all veterinarians certainly see their fair share of pretty irresponsible people)...there are definitely cases where you want to wait and you don't increase her risks of cancers and whatnot much if you still do it before her *second* heat cycle.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon