Thyroid Panel questions

Thread: Thyroid Panel questions

DefaultThyroid Panel questions

Sammie gained 10 lbs from age 2 to age 3 (he just turned 3). Also, his energy level is sometimes lower than I would like to see. This could be explained by less exercise during our snowy winter here in Colorado or he has a very mellow temperament.

How much do thyroid panels cost? If Sam has a mild (or just beginning hypothyroidism problem), will the tests pick up on that?

Cost isn't a problem...I just don't want to overreact. I only recently cut down on his food...maybe I should wait until he loses the 10 lbs and see if his energy level improves?

Any input would be appreciated.

Julie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thyroid Panel questions

I just paid around $125/$130 to have a full thyroid panel done on Dutch. Be sure it's the Michigan test they usually have to send out for testing.

We too paid about $125.00 - for the test to be done at Univ of Michigan - it is the most accurate of the tests. Your vet can do a standard test for about $70.00 but it is not nearly as accurate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would bet anything its the weight and he is finally maturing. Now if he can't lose the weight, then that could be a problem and worth looking into IMO

My vet did an office test last year on my Buck, 5 year old yellow neutered male. He was weighing 128 pounds I think last April, his test showed borderline thyroid. My vet suggested lowering his calorie intake to see if he showed any weight loss, by July he was 120 pounds. In October I changed his food to Authority Chicken and Rice Lite. He will go back in a week for his yearly and I know he has lost more weight for sure, and his energy level is much better than it was a year ago. My boy is very mellow too, so I know how you feel. If my Buck needs to be tested again, my vet said she will send the test out.

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like the test cost (sent to Michigan) sounds very reasonable.

Bucksmom...your Buck seems similar to Sam. I'm curious how much were you feeding him when he weighed 128...how much did you cut it back and how did you reduce his treats/kong contents, etc? If Buck went from 128 to 120 from April to July, that sounds like a safe speed of weight loss.

Sam is so tall...I can see his ribs when he walks and the curve in of his flanks even at 120 lbs. I sure hope the 10 lbs make a difference in his energy level. He just had is annual exam with blood work. Maybe in a couple of months, I'll take him in for the thyroid panel.

Thanks again.

Julie

labby is offline Senior Member

Although I'm a University of Michigan fan, the test is done at Spartyville or Michigan State University. Its the only thyroid to do on dogs as its the most accurate. It costs me about $85 to have one done.

Laura

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I will be paying $90 to have blood work for thyroid done on Abby here in ONtario.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

HI Julie,
    Yes from your pics of Sam, they look very similar indeed. I lowered his food intake by 1/2 cup a day. So instead of 2 cups twice a day, he got 1 1/2 cups twice a day. Treats we switched to raw veggies instead of cookies. The weight came off slowly, but i noticed the most when i switched food to Authority Lite, so i went back to 2 cups each feeding and he's doing great. The food switch even lessened the shedding by alot. I am anxious to see what his weight will be next week. Well thats if I can get him past the front door at the vet, thats another story. LOL Last time he wouldn't budge, the big baby.

Just be sure if you have the test done that you tell the vet you want the MICHIGAN thryroid testing. They do them other places than MI, now, but you have to specify it. We have a place here now and my vet had to send it out. The regular blood tests she could run in her office, but not the MI testing.