stop -natural balance venison and rice food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stop -natural balance venison and rice food

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultstop -natural balance venison and rice food

If you feed Natural Balance Venison and rice dog foods or cat foods please check out their web site. They appear to be having problems with it causing vomiting and kidney problems in some animals.

www.naturalbalance.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: stop -natural balance venison and rice food

Sorry their web address is www.naturalbalanceinc.com

I just opened a new bag today! My lab has been eating the venison and rice since last Oct. I haven't noticed any problems, but will return it tomorrow for sure. Thanks for posting the information.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have emailed the company to ask about the venison treats. I have been giving my older lab these as a different treat. She has been sick a couple of times recently ?? don't know if it has anything to do with the treats but they are going to be tossed!!

This recall is now on the FDA page for recall pet food info. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01610.html

My dog was taken to the vet yesterday due to eating the Venison and Brown rice formula and he is having kidney problems just after 2 feedings of this food, 3 days apart! The first time we fed him and he got sick that night we thought it might have been something else...we all know how labs tend to find the oddest things and ingest them. He only vomited that night so I cooked him some brown rice and chicken for 2 days. He seemed normal enough so we tried the food again and within 8 hours he was vomiting again. (I forgot to mention this whole time his water consumption seemed a bit higher than normal so we were keeping an eye on him.) The next day (yesterday) I mentioned it to a friend and they told me to take him to the vet. Well, his kidneys were having trouble (elevated creatine levels) and he is on and IV for at least 48 hours. We are going to stop into the vet tonight to see how he is doing and hope that by tomorrow he will be back to normal. So far Natural Balance does not know what is causing these symptoms but I sure hope they figure it out soon. My dog got sick the same day that I fed him so the stuff making him sick must be pretty toxic.

Edit: I just wanted to add that he has been on the Venison and Brown rice formula for over a year before he got the bad batch of food, I did not just switch to it.

Here is the batch # for those who want to check their food NRV0302D2NL best by date: Sept. 28, 2008.

I hope they start letting more people know about this food because as with any recall, getting the treatment as quickly as possible is the best way to save the animal's life and kidneys.

Natural Balance just updated their web page and here is the new update. It is Melamine from the rice protein that they just added to the pet food. Feel free to read on, at least we know what is causing the sickness from yet another food.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/press_release.html

Two weeks ago this past Saturday, Dutch started vomiting mid afternoon and continued until 3am in the morning, a total of probably twelve times. The initial vomit looked like you would expect vomit to look; after that he vomited bright yellow gelatinous stuff with foam. We were at our house in the mountains, so we came home on Sunday morning in order to have him seen, and if necessary, hospitalized near our home.

We took him to the emergency animal hospital recommended by his vet; they took x-rays but were unable to see anything that would cause a problem. They decided it was best to admit him, run some blood tests, and take x-rays again in a few hours. When they called a few hours later, they said they didn't see anything in the x-rays, didn't know why he was vomiting, and that we could come pick him up.

Not more than 15 minutes later, they called back and said they looked at the x-rays again and saw what looked like an obstruction; they wanted authorization to do exploratory surgery immediately because he had been ill for 24 hours at that point. Of course, we authorized it.

They didn't find an obstruction, and released him two days later without knowing what caused him to have the problem. They presented us with a bill for $3800. Poor Dutch had major surgery and has an eight inch incision to prove it.

As it turns out, I had been mixing the Natural Balance Venison & Rice with the IVD by Royal Canin Venison & Potato for about one week on a 1 to 3 basis. Now Dutch's health is further compromised and we have to worry about additional vet bills (best case) or worse because of potential kidney problems.

Dutch healed quickly and is acting like his normal self (goofy and sweet), but I am worried, of course. I'll be catching a urine sample first thing tomorrow morning so the vet can test it to see if there is a problem.

Please think good thoughts for us.

Thinking of you and your lab.

I am going to show the post from Natural Balance to my vet tomorrow. My lab has eaten the venison treats and did have some vomiting last week.

Please keep us up to date on your labs tests results.

Well, Cody's creatine levels haven't improved after 48 hours of treatment and they are saying that he may now have permanent kidney damage. We are waiting for our ultrasound results to see if he may have any congenital defects and eliminate other possibilities for the kidney failure. If our test comes up negative then we are sure that all of this is due to his consumption of the tainted Venison and Brown rice formula. We have also sent of blood, urine and food samples to UCD for testing to help confirm/deny melamine poisoning. After just 6 cups of "contaminated" food and he is this ill I am really scared that Melamine might be way more toxic than they think. I will keep you guys posted as to the results. Still trying to hope for the best.

Was your dog's vomit similar to what I described with Dutch ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast