Labs & NSAIDs

Thread: Labs & NSAIDs

mydogRowdy is offline Junior Member

DefaultLabs & NSAIDs

Hello all,

I have always had healthy dogs so never thought anything about breed specific medications when treating dogs for injuries until our dog Rowdy (a black Lab) died from the medication Previcox.

While visiting other Lab forums, it seems that many Lab owners are already aware of the potential dangers that exist regarding NSAIDs and Labs. I was completely unaware and apparently, so was the vet that prescribed the Previcox.

If our story will help ANY Lab to avoid the outcome our Rowdy had it will be well worth the time invested to pass this link along.

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/NSAID'...ialDangers.htm

Tragedies like this can be avoided if people have a 'heads up' on these dangers. Thanks for your time.

Mel

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labs & NSAIDs

Not aware of that particular drug but I do know that there are certain lines of Labs that can't tolerate Rimadyl. Regular blood/liver panels are highly recommended! I fortunately have been able to use it w/o issue when we've had agility,etc, injuries (short term use). -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

mydogRowdy is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Not aware of that particular drug but I do know that there are certain lines of Labs that can't tolerate Rimadyl. Regular blood/liver panels are highly recommended! I fortunately have been able to use it w/o issue when we've had agility,etc, injuries (short term use). -Anne
    Yes, Rimadyl is also one of the many NSAIDs out there that can and has caused death to many dogs, including Labs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My girl can't tolerate any Rimadyl, Carpofren, or Metacam.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

One of my girls had a problem with Deramaxx.
    More info on it: http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...xx_warning.htm
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Does anyone know - if a dog is going to have problems on NAISD's, is that something that will show up pretty quickly or could it take a long time? My 4 year old female is on Rimadyl as needed for elbow dysplasia - she only takes it on an as needed basis when she's really inflamed. She gets tested every 6 months or so.