Did the kibble test........Whoa

Thread: Did the kibble test........Whoa

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultDid the kibble test........Whoa

After reading about bloat, and the recommendations that you should not let your dog drink water right after eating dry food, I decided to do a kibble test on her food. We feed her Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy, Chicken and Rice. I put about a cup of her kibble in a bowl, and added just enough water to almost cover it. In a few hours, actually maybe less, the kibble expanded to almost twice its dry size. So I imagine this is what happens in her tummy if she drinks water immediately after eating. Yikes. So now I have been witholding her water for about an hour after eating. Is that enough time? Does anybody else do this, or am I overeacting?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Did the kibble test........Whoa

Overreacting. It won't have any effect:
    http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...5091&O=Generic
    There was also no correlation to vaccinations, to the brand of dog food consumed, or to the timing or volume of water intake before or after eating.
    Your experiment shows the benefits of not overfeeding, but I wouldn't withhold water.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Nick said.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I had a dog that bloated twice it I personally think drinking some water after a meal is fine, but not tons of it. I used to withhold it, but not anymore as that did not cause it. I think it is mainly stress related and some dogs are really proan to it. Even small amts of stress can set of the wrong reaction.

I do not feed him though 30 minutes after a ton of excersise - he must calm down first and I won't feed him before a ton of excersise either (which is more important). You don't want the dog to start running around like crazy with a full stomach - would you? Most importantly, try not to think about it, your dog doesn't.

I should apologize, my post was very curt. I was in a hurry, but I wanted to post the link so you could look over it. My apologies if I came across as rude.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Nick.........No apology necessary. I didn't take any offense at all to your post. Thanks for responding, and for reassuring me.