Bloat Concerns

Thread: Bloat Concerns

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultBloat Concerns

I have been reading about GVD (bloat) in here, my books, and on the internet lately. It is really scary. Since my puppy eats her food SOOO fast, this has been a real concern for me. I know most of the articles said it happens mostly in dogs that are older than she is (4 and a half months), but I'm still concerned, for now, and for the future. I've tried a lot of things to slow down her eating pace, and right now I have been stuffing her Kong with her kibble so it falls out little by little and it definetly slows her down somewhat. Until I find another solution, I guess I'll stick with this for now. What I was wondering...................From what I've read the literature advised to not let her have any water for an hour after eating. (She eats dry Pro Plan). Do most of you (that feed dry) follow this advice? Also...............they advised: No exercise one hour before eating, and NO exercise for 2 hours after eating. They said a leisurely walk is okay, but no rough-housing or anything strenuous for AT LEAST 2 hours after eating. Do most of you follow this advice also? The more I read, the more scared it made me, but I'm glad at least I know about it and what to look for, and ways to try to prevent it. I'm doing the kibble test right now and will see how the food expands, if this brand indeed does. Yikes! I'd love to hear your advice, experiences, thoughts on this. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bloat Concerns

Some people have had success slowing down their chow hounds with this special bowl:

http://www.brake-fast.net/

It might be worth a shot. Otherwise you could try scattering the kibble out across your yard. This should also slow her right down.

Try not to worry about bloat. Yes it is a very serious (fatal if not caught early) condition but providing you take sensible procautions, don't worry.

I think waiting for 2 hours after eating is a bit of a stretch. Especially in the mornings. Most people don't have time to feed, wait for 2 hours and then exercise. A gap of one hour should be acceptable.

Hmmm. The 2 hour thing is really excessive, especially for a little puppy.

What I do is give Gabby half her meal in her bowl, get dressed, go for our walk, come back and put the other half of her meal in her kong or treat ball and do what I need to do for a while and let her work it out. There is no way the she can work it out fast enough that she can bloat

www.kong.com

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...treat+ball&N=2

Sweetie, I think you're worrying too much

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Well, I know my husband thinks I worry too much, that's for sure! And I used to be so laid back about everything! But. This is my very first puppy/dog/pet. We don't have kids, so this is the first time I've had someone totally dependent on me. So I suppose I'm a bit of a nervous new mom. But I AM getting better! It's just all so new to me. I just don't want to NOT be prepared, for whatever. In 3 short months my puppy and I have really bonded, and I love her dearly. So naturally I want to protect her and keep her happy, but still let her be the doggie she is! I'll try to take the information I have, and just use common sense, along with the experience I gain, as we go along. I swear, the more you read, the more paranoid it makes you. Thanks for your advice!

Try spreading her kibble out on a cookie sheet it will take her longer to eat it that way. Or I use a treat ball like this
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...Treat+ball&N=2
    to put her meal in I have one of these and use it every morning to put part of Mocha's breakfast in so it keeps her busy for a while.